Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interesting Physics Question  (Read 1641 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Physics Question
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 06:57:16 pm »

How much energy are we talking about here; enough that quantum effects might kick in?  Because I could imagine that over vast, vast, tremendously huge amounts of time...oh, a kalpa or two...you'd end up with the same energy in the system, but the ice crystals would be evenly distributed throughout the liquid water (with the same amount of crystallization bonds).  You'd kick in just enough energy from the quantum chaos, that energy would be taken out somewhere else, something melts, another thing freezes, the energy remains constant.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »

I don't think that'd work. Distributing the ice crystals would reduce the entropy of the system since there's more surface area in the liquid. You'd be breaking the second law.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:17:52 pm by Virex »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:02 pm »

It's already been pointed out earlier that it takes energy, but here's the maths behind it;

-Q = m.C1.ΔT1 + m.Lf + m.C2.ΔT2

That is the energy required to change a mass m of something from some temperature ΔT1 above freezing point, through the phase change (with a latent heat of fusion Lf), to some temperature ΔT2 below freezing. Or vice versa; the equation is general. The important factor for this discussion is of course -Qfreezing = m.Lf, which the above reduces to if we assume everything is at 0oC already.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 [2]