Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Embark Profiles?  (Read 4966 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Profiles?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:13 pm »

I, for one, find profiles abslutely useless. Yeah, it saves you a few seconds of selecting how much of which seeds you're bringing along. But really, is that a worthwhile exchange for being able to customize your build to match the site? Is that worth bringing along a Competent Fisherdwarf on a map with no surface water? Is that worth ending up with an expedition leader named Swallowedboot, or a (future) militia comander named Frillyglove? Is that worth spending a third of your embark points on bronze supplies, only to find tons of iron ores & flux sticking right out of the ground? I hardly think so.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17:13 pm »

The only thing people all seem to agree on is the importance of bringing a grower or two

I disagree with this.
I agree with your disagreement; a grower is hardly necessary, as you often get one in the first two migrant waves anyway, and you don't need to establish farms before autumn anyway if you bring enough food and drink, and even later than that if you surface plants to gather or go to the caverns early to gather there.

I disagree with your agreement to a disagreement, though that's usually because I tend to bring something along the lines of 60 pig tail seeds/all of my food in seed form before embark, saves a helluva lot of points

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 11:28:33 pm »

I usually do custom embark profiles considering the world and embark, and how I want to play. I did do these pre-set profiles mostly from a roleplaying point of view, for people who want to force certain outer conditions on them, like having no miner, or an itemless embark... and I did do one designed for newer players so they have everything to survive the first year(s) without dieing of hunger or thirst.  I dont really think a effecient embark profiles that fits all worlds can be done.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:06:45 pm »

That depends on whether or not you gen with 10000 embark points.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »

That depends on whether or not you gen with 10000 embark points.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No different than Six Flags theme parks having a 14.5 mph speed limit in their entries :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 09:30:34 pm »

I've always brought balanced, optimized teams of dwarves in the past, but I'm thinking now that a team of 7 miners might be better since the food/booze can last until more dwarves migrate to start farming, and you can have more rooms ready for them when they arrive.
Pages: 1 [2]