Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cold Climate Discovery  (Read 2688 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cold Climate Discovery
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:10:53 pm »

If you smooth over ice walls, when it melts, there will be an extra 1/7 of water above it. Carefully controlled, it might be able to produce usable extra water for you if you have the right environment.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Climate Discovery
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:12:52 pm »

.......Witchcraft!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02:01 pm »

Watercrafting is now a skill (and probably has a possible mood).

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:16 pm »

Well this is indeed a grand discovery. Have you found a situation where this is useful? Might  as well dig your way to the caverns eh?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »

My inability to find any possible use for this discovery fills me with incomprehensible rage.

Still, you ought to get a Dwarven Ig Nobel Prize for it.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:27:51 pm »

I'd probably be making a slow drowning chamber.  "Slow" on the order of "Raises by 1 level every year".

Side view:
Code: [Select]
#
#~#ee#
######
In winter, you smooth the new ice, and when it thaws it should spill over into the elf chamber.  The ratio of ice tiles to elf drowning chamber will require some tuning to make sure that it reaches 2/7 and doesn't evaporate, and a small allowance must be made to make sure the 1/7 newly generated water doesn't just sit on the wall harmlessly.  A 5:1 ratio of Ice:Elf should provide reliable slow-drown method.

Although for true effect, only the water should be above-ground, the elf pit should be underground so that it doesn't freeze and kill them instantly.  That would ruin the waterboarding, after all.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:48:17 pm »

That sounds inordinately complicated to make function properly for only marginal usefulness.

It is therefore incredibly dwarfy. For suggesting a functional way to bring water-torture to the elves I hereby award you with numerous internets and the hand of several elven princesses in marriage.
/人‿‿人\

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »

That sounds inordinately complicated to make function properly for only marginal usefulness.

It is therefore incredibly dwarfy. For suggesting a functional way to bring water-torture to the elves I hereby award you with numerous internets and the hand of several elven princesses in marriage.

Kill them, kill those princesses NOW.

NOW. NOW I TELL YOU. OR ILL STEAL YOUR -MUG-!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:53:16 pm »

*puts the princesses on a small shelf on the wall*
Ohhh my collection is almost finished!

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »

*puts the princesses on a small shelf on the wall*
Ohhh my collection is almost finished!

Considering they don't need to eat and they wont age they really do make fantastic dolls to stuff behind a glass case as a trophy. In fact the comparison between elves and skinny dolls with their long blond hair and plastic faces is rather apt.
/人‿‿人\

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »

Should be equally fun to stuff on a rocketminecart and launch into the sky. Without a parachute.

You could use this as a timer if you used GIH's drowning chamber to instead fill a water clock. Say, in a succession game in a temperate climate that freezes in the winter, you can dig out an area, expose it to the air, freezing it, then smooth it, providing water to a pressure plate that activates a doomsday device sometime during the next player's turn, killing the fortress. For use in particularly slow and boring games. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »

Do you know what I find gutting?

I literally began smoothing all of my murky pools.

Dorf hivemind strikes again

WELL PLAYED SIRRAH!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:54 am »

If you smooth over ice walls, when it melts, there will be an extra 1/7 of water above it. Carefully controlled, it might be able to produce usable extra water for you if you have the right environment.

This is interesting in its own right, but may also offer a glimpse into some DF internals.  Possible hypothesis: smoothing over the wall means the game needs to either create, or fill out further, the "invisible floor" in the level above the wall, to have someplace to put the "it's been smoothed" information.  When melting time comes, it sees enough of an "ice floor" in the level above to put in 1/7 water, but since it's not a real construction, it's still allowed to melt.