Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those accursed things called Waterfalls.  (Read 938 times)

Cusi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Those accursed things called Waterfalls.
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »

Urist McDisney loves Waterfalls, but I don't! How do you deal with this blasted landmarks? I have put up a restriction area, set it to 100 and had it 5 tiles on each end of the shore and they still go for that shallow end. Bridges help, but aren't a sure means. Walls have been semi-effective but lead to a few mason deaths recently. So besides damming up/ block off during winter when it is frozen, how do you deal with these Misty McWidow(er)makers. Any help would be good, I tried grates, but same as walls except with 100% of falling down.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Those accursed things called Waterfalls.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:32 pm »

Forbid everything on the other side until you have a nice, long wall on your side... Then build a bridge and do the same for the other, just to be safe. That's what I do.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:35:02 pm »

Restricted paths don't do anything if the restricted paths are the only paths to the job. You have to build a bridge and designate it as high traffic then keep the waterfall designated as restricted.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »

Also make sure you restrict both the surfaces of the river banks and the bottom of the river where the ramps are that they take down from your bridges...  I foundthat tended to help.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod