Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Treasure Hunters- Challenge!  (Read 3138 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Treasure Hunters- Challenge!
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:22:19 pm »

There's a lot of fun to be had in Adventurer mode, but there's never been those really fun traps. You know, the ones that players made to be deadly to anything- no matter what.

We aim to fix that. The whole aim of this challenge is to make a fort laden with valuables... guarded with all the most sadistic traps one could make. Whether it be from a lever that opens the next room AND releases a flood, maybe a minotaur, that kind of thing, or just good old fashioned spike pits. The aim here is not a functional fort- bonus points for it being fucntionable though- it's for an amazing ride in Adventure mode.

You make your fort, pass around the save, then those that pick it up immediately abandon and try and get to it- defeat it- and claim it's treasure as their own.

You'll probably need DFhack, since we don't want everything getting strewn about come abandonment time.

Rating Scale of Individual Traps:
One-Tile, easy-build traps: 1 point, maximum 10 points
Creative Use of or trap involving only the above: 2 points, maximum 16 points
Traps using pressure plates or levers that do nothing to advance the progress: 4 points, max 24 pts.
Traps using pressure plates or levers that also advance progress: 6 points, max 36 points
Traps using dangerous animals (Not (semi)megabeasts, FBs, or venomous animals) +4 points per animal max 36 points per trap.
Traps using venomous non(semi)megabeasts or FBs, +6 points per animal max 36 points per trap,
Traps using (semi)megabeasts, +8 points per trap (No bonus for having more than one beast per trap.)
Traps using nonvenomous FBs, +8 points per trap
Traps using venomous FBs, +10 points per trap, max 50 points total, no more than one FB per trap
Cave in traps formula: (number of tiles caved / 10)+(perimeter of caved tiles), maximum a total of 60 pts for all cave in traps
   "Skip Trap" ability, a sneaky way of bypassing a trap:
   For being able to skip all traps on your way out, +25 pts
   For having very well concealed or very well hidden skips that only 1 out of 5 players finds +20pts, only adds once
   For having difficult to find and/or use skips, (2 of 5), +15 one time
   For having moderately difficult to find or access skips: (3 of 5), +10 one time
   For having easy to spot and access skips: (4 of 5): Lose the total value of the trap x2. A trap with creative use of two stonefall traps     that is very easily skipped would subtract 8 points.
   For having a skip that requires no work to use: -50 points per skip

Use of flooding traps: +10, maximum 60
Use of MAGMA flood traps: +15, maximum 75
Use of magma in operation, effect, or activation of trap: +10 for the trap.
Atom Smashers: +50, then +5 for more, maximum 100

Use of toxins or venoms with no monsters +100 per trap, once per trap, must be used in entire trap.

If anything requires rebalancing on the points scale or is not included and should be, let me know.

Also, points awarded by:
Impregnable Fortress(+100): Kill 4/5 people who attempt the dungeon with a reasonably leveled character, in a non-cheap way. (Such as, if a lever that atom-smashes you among 5 levers where four atom smash and 1 opens the door, that's cheap. If you release like 6 asp vipers and they fight them till death, that's not cheap.

Diggy Diggy Hole(+50): Your fortress is 25 levels or more underground.

Tower of Babel(+50): Your fortress is 25 or more levels above ground.

Tower of Babel's Basement(+50): Meets both "Diggy Diggy Hole" and "Tower of Babel"

Self Destruct Button(+75): You can destroy your entire fort with a single switch (Such as the whole thing on one support.)

Incomplete SDB(+25): Whole sections of your fort can be caused to cave in, burn away, or become destroyed by other means.

Useful Treasure(+10): make the treasure something like an artifact sword, or a really good crossbow, or maybe a fuckton of preserved meat. Not something simply to sell for an insane price.

Metaphorical Treasure(+Trolling): Make the entire room out of a valuable substance, and have nothing of value inside.

Maze Daze(+30): Have a maze in your fort. Maybe include multiple exits, either one with the least traps or some with one trap with a fake exit.

Children of the Corn(+30) Put animal traps in your maze.

No Cheese(+20): Put traps in your maze that aren't just basic one tiles.

Masochists!(+50): Everyone rates your course as "Hard". In a good way.

Riveting Adventure(+30): Same as above, but less people give the votes. Second place.

First Place is Too Mainstream(+10) Same as above, but third place.

Fuck Yeah(+50): Your map is rated the most fun. Cannot be awarded to the same map as "Masochists!"

I Had A Good Time(+30): Your map is rated the second most fun. "Masochists!" and "Riveting Adventure" can't has.

Satisfactory(+10): Your map is third in fun times. Can't be given to any winners of "First Place is Too Mainstream" or above.

MAXIMUM TROLLING(+999) Have the most sadistic trap ever as either the final trap or the "exit." Bonus points if someone manages to clear it with their magic skills.)

The Winner!(+Respect) Get the most points. Cannot be given to the winner of "MAXIMUM TROLLING" because they already won those little peices of us that are now dead inside.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Hunters- Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »

Feel free to suggest your own awards, and they might get placed here.

Noticed that I swapped the dates between two fourms. nah, you have till forever.
Might have more than one contest if this gets popular.

Reserved.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:42:05 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:47:29 pm »

So it's "make a fort with the most dastardly traps possible, and then laugh maniacally as you attract and kill adventurers" in a perfectly cliché Death Trap ? I'm in !

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »

Oh this sounds like a nice sounding challenge. I suck at Adventure mode, so I would be a dungeon builder...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »

I'm in. Vanilla only?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:00:54 pm »

I love this idea, although I do not have the patience to make this kind of fort, Its hard enough for me to nickname my dorfs and manage the military :P but I would definitely like to try out some ones fort. How old do you think each fort would be, 15+ years?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 05:11:40 pm »

You could always use DF hack to set you map as a lair, then repeatedly abandon as you make it- that seems to work. It's vanilla, but you can modify something in and include the raw edits (such as a new creature) for easy access.

So if you mod something in, make sure you give us the raws. I don't see a reason why this should be banned, but of course those that are strictly vanilla versus mods will be two different categories.

So yeah, vanilla or whatever mods you included. Try to make balanced stuff if you do mod.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 05:15:34 pm »

SO, no masterwork?
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 05:20:41 pm »

Oh my god, that's a hard call. I love masterwork...

All right. Scratch the above post. You can enter:
Vanilla Group:
Use only the vanilla game.
Vanilla+1 Group:
Use the vanilla, you can add in one creature, material, or other addition.
Masterwork:
Uses the Masterwork mod, because it's fairly popular and it's the only mod I've used for some time (I don't add that much though.)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 05:27:45 pm »

Good. I WANT SLADE TURRET TRAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!