Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specific things not happening? (Migrants, Caravans, Moods, Ambushes, and Sieges)  (Read 1267 times)

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've had my current fortress for around 4 in-game years, and I haven't gotten a single Siege or Ambush, even though I have Fortress Defense installed with most of the civs still alive. I would say how much my fortress is worth, but I don't have a broker with the Appraiser skill, so I have absolutely no idea. No caravans have come at all in the entire life of the fortress, and I also haven't had a single mood. Is there any way to get a Caravan to come, or am I doomed to having no trade? Also, if I can't trade with anyone, is there some other way I can get a dwarf with the Appraiser skill, or train one of mine to have it? I'm not getting migrants either, so I'm at a loss for what to do. I really don't want to lose this fortress, because it's been going so well, but it looks like I might have to regen the world. D:

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have no experience with mods, but it could be you embarked on an island with a dead civilization? Enemy civs can't reach to attack, or it could be that you haven't produced enough wealth, and dead civs won't send caravans or migrants. Although I've never personally encountered a civ that's been totally killed off, even if the mountain home is gone there's still usually some dwarf migrants wandering around somewhere. No migrants would explain the lack of moods though, you need a certain population for moods. Yeah, no trade, no appraiser skill. Also, no trade, no migrants to be attracted by tales of your wealth.

Did you get your first two migrant waves? I thought those always happened, even with dead civs.
This is a known source of vexation.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

Did you download from the site or, well, I don't know, don't know that mod, but if d_init has artifacts, invaders No that'd explain that.

Being on an island would explain a lot too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I checked the neighbors screen before I embarked, and both Humans and Dwarves were listed there, so I should be getting Caravans from at least the Humans, you'd think. As for the init changes, I didn't do anything to them, and I'm only using mods that I made myself, none of which should affect anything like this. From what I can remember, my last fortress had sieges and ambushes, because I got quite a few of each. I'm not sure what changed, exactly, between the fortresses (both on the same world) that would cause me to be unable to make artifacts.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Moods require you to have a population of at least 20 mood-eligible dwarves.  Sieges also have a minimum population.  If you're not getting migrants, you probably don't have enough population for them to happen.

Not getting any migrants, ambushes, or caravans could be the result of your fortress being in an inaccessible location on the map, and your civilization being dead.  It's possible for your fortress to be in a location that will never get elves, humans, or goblins, even without being on an island.  Dwarven caravans should always come, unless your civilization is dead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, I only have 18 or 19 mood-eligible dwarves. I'll let my children all grow up, then. :P As for the migrants, I wasn't really expecting them to come so much as I was getting a message that my fortress had attracted no migrants each season. My population cap is 15, and I'm at 23 with 5 babies, so I'm not sure why it keeps saying that. In addition to there being no deaths, I must have a fortress wealth of over 10 million Urists at this point, what with all my Large Serrated Cobalt Disks.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

You are getting the 'fortress had attracted no migrants each season' message because you are over your population cap.  That's the message it gives, even if the actual reason you aren't getting any messages is because you set the popcap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're not getting any migrants and you're below the popcap, it'll tell you why.

Usually its because your fortress is a forsaken deathtrap that no one will dare to venture to.

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My fortress definitely isn't a deathtrap, I haven't even had a single dwarf die yet. The wealth from having over 500 ☼Large Serrated Cobalt Disks☼ alone would probably cause massive migrant waves if I upped the population cap. :P

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

COBALT large serrated discs ? You may have modded a few things here and there that damaged your worldgen, although it is unlikely.

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's possible. Now that I think about it, I did remove a lot of stone, gem, and wood types. As for the Cobalt, I noticed one time I was playing that it had the same graphic in the Ironhand pack as all ores seem to. After digging around in the raws, I found out that Cobalt is naturally considered a metal ore, so I just tweaked them to be a little weaker than Platinum, but able to be used for pretty much anything made of metal. Worked out really well, I think! :D