Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another Challenge, This one, Urist-meltingly hard.  (Read 3745 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Another Challenge, This one, Urist-meltingly hard.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 10:58:34 pm »

Screwpumps.

If you don't mind the ensuing FPS death it will cause, you can use pyramidally stepped down pumpstacks to suck/push water away from the construction site.

Build the city while the seafloor is exposed, then 1 zlevel at a time, disabl and deconstruct the pumpstack perimeter until no trace remains.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 01:24:29 am »

I made a rapture expy city in 40d by casting an obsidian caisson into the ocean, and then collapsing it into the sea floor after construction was complete. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_(engineering)

How exactly does collapsing cast obsidian work? I know that anything constructed breaks apart as it falls, but 'natural' walls don't. Does it keep shape with corridors and things? or do you have to make it solid, drop it to the bottom and mine out the inside?

Cast obsidian falls to the bottom and stays there like a natural wall. It doesn't keep any open spaces or shaps from before you drop it, instead compacting.

For the people concerned about the massive FPS hit of draining the ocean and keeping it drained during construction, note that draining a caisson is comparatively lag-free. Since I was using magma to cast the obsidian at the ocean's surface, I used the magma to ignite a iron bin full of coke bars and drop it into the caisson to boil away all of the water. Once it was empty of water, I had no lag.

Freezing water kills fish, creates its own lag issues, and permits access to any towers that you have sticking out of the water.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 03:35:35 pm »

Step 1. Drain Ocean into aquifer.

Step 2. Build Rapture.

Step 3. Reseal aquifer drain.

Step 4. Profit!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »

Screwpumps.

If you don't mind the ensuing FPS death it will cause, you can use pyramidally stepped down pumpstacks to suck/push water away from the construction site.

Build the city while the seafloor is exposed, then 1 zlevel at a time, disabl and deconstruct the pumpstack perimeter until no trace remains.
I remember that somebody did this once, they even posted a video of it somewhere. IT was pretty crazy since they had something like 1000ish pumps running at the same time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]