Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maybe a basic question..!  (Read 997 times)

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maybe a basic question..!
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:50:30 am »

Hello! I used to play Adventure mode but I'm little new to Dwarf mode.

I have a fortress of 120 dwarves, but I don't have a bridge! My question is... How can I make a hole, like a pit, to fill it with water and when I raise the bridge the enemy will fall in this hole? I tried making a channel, but only dig 1 level down and with ramps...

Can explain me please?

Thank you!

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe a basic question..!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:57:21 am »

Just use the 3-bridge defense. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Security_design#Forced_Detour
Make sure you use raised and not retracting and you'll be fine. dodge traps with reverse battlements for reservist marksdwarves will get what you want. For damage by z-levels:
  • 1: Fine
  • 2:Minor broken bones. death by belly-flop/header
  • 3-5: Majority of bones broken, nerver dmg etc.
  • 6+ Deaths on impact are starting up
  • 15+ Pretty solid risk of death and a chance of bursting into tasty meat bits

As to your question, c(d-h)annel the ground to make the hole then (d-z) to remove the ramps. You'll still need an exit though so maybe:

xxx
rxxx
 xxx

You can then build the bridge and you're set.

OH GOD I ALMOST FORGOT! NO water moat... Gobbos will rock up on cave crocodiles or cave swallows and just go right past unless you use raising drawbridges and a roof.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:07:31 am by Azure »

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:48 am »

And If I want to make a 5 level hole, I have to do with the channel command and removing the ramps, true??

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:14 am »

Just keep channeling down but only one level at a time and use up/down staircases instead of ramps for that exit

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 07:12:26 am »

BTW if you're going to go ahead and use pits greater than 1 z-level you'll want to have a way of locking your melee dwarves away. Nothing says FUN more than that legendary +5 wep, shield, armor, and dodge soldier dodging into a pit and dying.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:44 am »

I always prefer towers for dismembering purposes. If I want more than 15 z-levels I bury a part of tower in earth, but this height is generally sufficient. I think this is no coincidence that there are 15 levels above ground available for building.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:07:57 am »

keep in mind that if you want enemies to fall due to the bridge raising/retracting, you're going to have some issues with timing.  The best way would be to make a very big hole and a very long bridge.  Maybe have a long bridge (or two), such that enemies go onto it, but you can lock the doors at the end or stop them on the bridge in some other way, allowing you to maximize the number of enemies that will fall when it retracts.

Also, my legendary dwarves tend to always die from landing on their heads from a 2 z-level fall.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:30:16 am »

Generally you only need the fall to be 9-10 z lvls for 100% instant death on humanoids.

The first z lvl of damage is always taken off, which is why a fall of 1z lvl only causes stunning, and nothing else. So a fall of 4z lvls does 3z lvls of damage, and so on.

Also making things fall without retractable bridges (which sometimes fail if the BFG shows up).