Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elder child  (Read 2748 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Elder child
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:06:08 pm »

The wiki says that children migrating to the fortress can be 2 to 12 years old. But I just got a child which is 15 years old, I had younger dwarves marrying in my previous fortress (last year release of DF). He's no vampire, he has parents who came with him. Does this mean that there is a bug with generating children in worldgen or the transition to adulthood occurs later than in previous versions? DF unmodded in version .34.07.

Slightly related: It's been 2 years since the newborn (one month old actually) daughter of my militia commander and his miner wife has been kidnapped, but her parents never realised the fact. The child is still listed as a member of my civ, and is still ecstatic to be free. Is there any chance my commander (who got another child later, and I don't know what happened to his previous adult son, maybe he hasn't come yet) realises the loss and falls into despair, possibly interrupting any military operation, or I'm safe?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Elder child
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »

There is a bug with children born during world gen which prevents them from accumulating age and becoming an adult during actual play. The problem usaully fixes itself if they survive to see the next spring. They'll instantly realize they're an adult and become part of the workforce.

You're perfectly safe from your commander, unless the child returns in 12 years as part of a goblin horde and dies. Then your commander might become miserable, especially if she had to kill her own child. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »

There is a bug with children born during world gen which prevents them from accumulating age and becoming an adult during actual play. The problem usaully fixes itself if they survive to see the next spring. They'll instantly realize they're an adult and become part of the workforce.

You're perfectly safe from your commander, unless the child returns in 12 years as part of a goblin horde and dies. Then your commander might become miserable, especially if she had to kill her own child. :P

Thanks. I suppose the old kids got their free gap year. As for the not-missing child - I don't really believe the history continues during my fortress life, but who knows... Maybe the sad day comes :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 03:16:20 pm »

It certainly has in previous versions. You jsut have to survive long enough. Kidnappees often lead goblin squads against the fortress they're abducted from.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 03:18:18 pm »

How kidnapping work.

IF YOU COME WITH ME YOU CAN GE-

Kid cancels run, jumping in bag

That was easy.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:33:02 am »

I still cannot understand how a stupid goblin could steal a baby from its mother's grasp without her noticing. I understand older children, who wander around absent minded, scavenging for rags, but babies are under constant care and supervision. She wasn't in hospital - I had no hospital back then, or injured. Maybe... maybe she was drunk?

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:41:59 am »

I still cannot understand how a stupid goblin could steal a baby from its mother's grasp without her noticing. I understand older children, who wander around absent minded, scavenging for rags, but babies are under constant care and supervision. She wasn't in hospital - I had no hospital back then, or injured. Maybe... maybe she was drunk?

Maybe she was sober more like.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:51:30 am »

Dwarves don't actually give a damn about their children, they just carry the babies around for one year (until its old enough to walk on its own) because that way the new child gets brought to the food once in a while, which is less labour-intensive than leaving the baby in a hospital bed and having the doctors bring it food as if it were crippled.

Haven't you noticed that Dwarven mothers take no maternity leave, and will actually use their children as a shield in combat if the opportunity presents itself?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 04:05:59 am »

Dwarves don't actually give a damn about their children, they just carry the babies around for one year (until its old enough to walk on its own) because that way the new child gets brought to the food once in a while, which is less labour-intensive than leaving the baby in a hospital bed and having the doctors bring it food as if it were crippled.

Haven't you noticed that Dwarven mothers take no maternity leave, and will actually use their children as a shield in combat if the opportunity presents itself?

I have noticed that (in my previous fort, I don't enlist women anymore) but they weren't happy after the child's death, which means they do care somehow. Maybe only because that makes them look as bad parents, but still.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:32 am »

Your dorfs are not very motherly. Off-duty axe lords with babies make impressive and dramatic snatcher bait if let outside during a major snatcher wave.

"BABY IS MINE!"
-thwack thwack thwack-
"BABY IS MINE!"
-THWACK-
"BABY IS MINE!"
-ZING THWACK-

I picture them babytalking their infants while surrounded by dismembered corpses, tickling their little blood-spattered toes. "Oh yes, some day you'll be a super-duper soldier just like mommy, oh yes you will, oh yes you will..."

I probably need to go back to therapy.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:54 am »

Why? You sound like a perfectly normal dwarf.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.