Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends Questions  (Read 1890 times)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends Questions
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »

When looking at events like who got killed by what in the regions section I saw one event that was differnt from the others. It says in a time before time Maga Lustdoom was encased in adamantine below(or in, or somthing of that nature) The Mystical Spikes of confederating(The rather mountonus region whose ledgends I was looking at).

So I think "Hey thats kind of cool, I wonder why that person had that happen to them?" I go on to look at my historic figures section now to reveiw the names of my hapless drunks killed by skeletons (yet agian). Then I see an entre from Maga Lustdoom, I think "excellent mabye I can find out what this person did to deserve being encased". sure enough I find out, in the first line it says "Maga Lustdoom was a demon". Aha! It makes perfect sense! who else but a demon would be encased in somthing in a time before time?
So now on to the question (yes i do like to have a story go along with almost anything I post, even a question.   :)  ). (and I out smilies in brackets to,   :D  ).

Oh and btw I think it was a random peasant who told me this in one of my adventure games(somtimes I just ask about surrounding a whole lot so that I can hear about somthing new and I guess I just missed this one in game.)

Ok.

So I am wondering is this type of thing put in just to give your world some background history and ledgends? or is it possible to actually seek out the demons from a "time before time"? or will it be at some point?

Another question.
Can you find big creatures like dragons in adventure mode? or even find demons that arn't the ones from myths?

And lastly, has anyone else uncovered events like this while playing? Things in the ledgends screen that are differnt from art, foundings, who killed who and such?

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »

I'm quite certain you will end up accidently breaking his prison if you dig deep enough in a fortress in that region.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »

If you continue playing, you'll find the answers to your questions.  ussdefiant could be correct, and I don't think you'll be disappointed by much of it.  Well, there's one thing that might annoy some people, but I haven't quite sorted that one out yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:09:00 pm »

It is possible to meet a demon, but it is very difficult to find him.

Other big monsters can be found by offering your services to the leader at the capital of a civilization.

Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Well, there's one thing that might annoy some people, but I haven't quite sorted that one out yet.</STRONG>

You mean... oh god, it's horrible. if you dig all the way across, and you bridge the... yeah... i need to figure how to bridge that still, but if you do... immigrants come from BOTH sides!?

the horror... i'd better abandon my fortress while i still can!

Curiousepic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »

Another Legends question - I seem to have lost it... Can you not access it while you have a game running in that world or something?

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »

Excellent! So I can maybe find these demons in fortress mode, and I can Try and take on big monsters and demons if I look hard in adventure mode to! heheheh... I also have a special adventure groupe planned for taking on big baddies now that I know you can...   ;)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »

Damn, I wish I could run into some of these things Toady keeps hinting about, but I'm coming to the realization that I'm absolutely pathetic at this game. Everything falls apart like clockwork around the second year or so. I haven't even had a chance to bridge the river yet...

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 03:42:00 pm »

About that groupe I was talking about, It will include my greatest adventurers, all of whom do not yet exist but who must all have titles after there names, aswell as having killed multipul monsers for the kingdom!

I have just resently tried recuting my own retired adventurers and it works! so it wont be long until my two greates adventurers travel together! Enter Sut Breadbeer the Fatal Honest Weight of Dye! and Pum Toothworld the Lucid Crazed Shield of Confederation!
Truly the titles given only to the most honorable of people.    :)

Oh and btw how is it that your adventurers are bestowed with these titles?

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

Beowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 05:29:00 pm »

I found the same pre-gen legend a good while ago. Yes by talking. Only about 200 left to do.   :D
warf mode exists for giving you a break from and to supply sites and stuff for Adventure mode!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 05:33:00 pm »

I just found out about another guy encased in adamantine, in some other mountian range... now what i'm wondering is did people only encase demons in adamantine back before time?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »

I found a dragon in a random cave. I managed to block the first round of dragonfire with my shield (my party were not so lucky, as they were all incinerated immediately) but I couldn't manage to pull that off again, and so I ended up a small pile of dust.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 07:24:00 pm »

NICE! I want to find a dragon or a demon(Actually which is more deadly demon or dragon?) what kind of area was the dragon in? was the cave in a swamp? mountian? An evil area? that type of thing.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 02:28:00 am »

Legends can't be accessed while playing a game since the world files are not always kept consistent with the active play files.  It might be possible to add some kind of viewing, but it wouldn't be consistent and could lead to unforeseen issues, so I put it off.

Adventurers get an extra title after killing 5 named figures maybe?  Something like that.  I'd rather have it tied to in-game events, but it's not that complicated yet.  Multiple titles depending on the civ should also be possible.

As TT suggested, one way to systematically track down the largest beasts is by inquiring at the capital.  The capital doesn't bother with certain smaller quests and the quest targets it picks are from a larger radius.  Of course, this should be way more interesting, but civs don't hold information about enemies, in particular because enemies don't harrass them yet.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 03:29:00 am »

Alright, I'll look at what kings and such have to offer!

So that would explane why my guy who killed hoards of nameless skeletons didn't get a cool (odd?) name, but my guy who stole stuff and killed a bunch of peasants before he was brought down did... heheh I guess if you murder that many people you should get a name anyway.   :D