Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampiric Noble disposal?  (Read 1941 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampiric Noble disposal?
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:45:16 pm »

So I recently discovered a vampire in my fortress, and had an idea, in light of the fact that my mayor keeps insisting that I mint coins.

1) Build noble's quarters as usual.
2) Link the entry door to a lever, allowing for the room to be locked down, trapping the noble.
3) Build the vampire's "quarters nearby, and have the only entrance/exit be through the noble's quarters.
4) link the vampire's door to a lever as well, allowing the vampire to be kept locked away when not needed
5) When it's time to kill a noble, assign them the "special" room, wait for them to go in for whatever reason, and lock them in.
6) release the vampire.
7) dead noble/profit!

For bonus points, put an un-linked lever in the vampire's quarters - when you need him/her to go back into his quarters, set it to be pulled on repeat - since he's the only dwarf that can reach it (on account of the room still being locked), he'll eventually go pull it, at which point the lever to lock him back in his cell can be pulled, and the lever to re-open the "special" noble's quarters can be pulled. End result? a noble went to his room (the one with the "secret" door) for a nap, and was later found dead, drained of blood!

Will this work?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:18:44 pm by The Dog Delusion »
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampiric Noble disposal?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:51:05 pm »

Needs more cowbells magma. But yes.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:36:20 am »

Yes it will... And it's a pretty horrific way of ending a noble's life (if you've read Dracula (and if DF vampires are based on Bram Stoker's vampires (which I sincerely hope they are)))... So +1 to you.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 02:17:06 am »

So I recently discovered a vampire in my fortress, and had an idea, in light of the fact that my mayor keeps insisting that I mint coins.

1) Build noble's quarters as usual.
2) Link the entry door to a lever, allowing for the room to be locked down, trapping the noble.
3) Build the vampire's "quarters nearby, and have the only entrance/exit be through the noble's quarters.
4) link the vampire's door to a lever as well, allowing the vampire to be kept locked away when not needed
5) When it's time to kill a noble, assign them the "special" room, wait for them to go in for whatever reason, and lock them in.
6) release the vampire.
7) ???
8) dead noble/profit!

For bonus points, put an un-linked lever in the vampire's quarters - when you need him/her to go back into his quarters, set it to be pulled on repeat - since he's the only dwarf that can reach it (on account of the room still being locked), he'll eventually go pull it, at which point the lever to lock him back in his cell can be pulled, and the lever to re-open the "special" noble's quarters can be pulled. End result? a noble went to his room (the one with the "secret" door) for a nap, and was later found dead, drained of blood!

Will this work?
It will, but:
1) You can lock the noble's door without attaching a lever to it, through interacting with the door as you would with a workshop.
2) The vampire's lever-to-pull can be attached to his own door, thus allowing the room to only be locked/opened from inside and making the process of locking up the vampire automatic.

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 03:28:32 am »

I actually had a vampire baron, I build his quarters (2 5x5 rooms for dining and office + 5x11 bedroom), the office and dining room link to the corridor and have separate vertical bars linked to levers, the doors from the rooms to the bedroom at the back were also connected to levers. The idea being that I could trap the noble in any one room so I could change furniture etc.

Having access to his quarters without letting him out is important because later I wanted to put the important defence levers in his room as he never sleeps. Also some say you should leave a pick in there if possible so if everybody else dies he can dig his way out and start again although you could just wait for more migrants.

Only problem came when a snake person law giver diplomat showed up and wanted to speak to him so I had to let her in. Although the meeting went well I never played that game much further as I got kept getting more vampires and it was being a headache but I still have the save.

Good thing is that the baron is immune from prosecution, eventually the general population found out about his vampirism and his title changed to 'vampire baron' which was pretty cool!

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:59:52 pm »

2) The vampire's lever-to-pull can be attached to his own door, thus allowing the room to only be locked/opened from inside and making the process of locking up the vampire automatic.

A fair point, but if the vampire goes moody for some reason and ends up pulling his own release lever, I don't want him releasing himself...although I suppose that he could, potentially, also tantrum-destroy the door keeping him in, so I suppose that's a moot point...
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:14 pm »

Put them in a squad, and station them somewhere. Put constructions all around them. Seal them in.

Additionally, the fortress is now unkillable!

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:13:27 am »

Put them in a squad, and station them somewhere. Put constructions all around them. Seal them in.

Additionally, the fortress is now unkillable!

Yeah, the vampiric black box is always a decent idea, but I'm more interested in using them to get rid of pesky nobles.