Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Veterinary medicine  (Read 826 times)

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Veterinary medicine
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »

I suggest a new noble position, Chief Veterinarian, the animal equivalent of the Chief Medical Dwarf.

Injured pets could be taken to the veterinary clinic (a hospital zone for animals) by their owners.  Injured stray animals could be taken by any dwarf with the Animal Care labor turned on.  In addition, animal caretakers will bring food/water to hungry/thirsty animals (I don't think most animals drink, but stray tigermen do).  The clinic would have cages or chains instead of beds, and the animals would be restrained until they were discharged.

Injured animals in the veterinary clinic are treated just like injured dwarves in the hospital, using the same medical skills.

This will give players an option other than euthanasia when dealing with injured animals, allow medical dwarves to practice their medical skills during un!!FUN!! times without committing atrocities against migrants (not that there's anything wrong with that), and makes the Animal Care labor useful.

You could, at least initially, forgo the new noble and zone, and just let the CMD and hospital perform double-duty, but some (perhaps many?) players might like to keep them separated, if only to ensure that limited medical supplies are used on dwarves first.

Sorry if this has been suggested before.  I searched, but nothing similar came up.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
Re: Veterinary medicine
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:47:37 pm »

Its past time for veterinary care. Especially if beasts of burden can pull minecarts.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veterinary medicine
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 04:49:02 pm »

I don't think animals CAN pull or push minecarts as of yet, if i remember the last few future of the fortress and DF talks correctly.

BUT, i think this is something that should be implemented, and can be done pretty easily. So I'm all for it.