Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Othlestoddom; The unorthodox fortress. ( an ongoing tale )  (Read 2686 times)

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Othlestoddom; The unorthodox fortress. ( an ongoing tale )
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:27:51 pm »

12th Granite, 253

Leaving the oppression and tyranny of our old home we set out in search of a place to call our own. A place where our beliefs will not be subdued and we can live as we please.
 They called us mad, they ridiculed and mocked us. But we will prevail !  Never again shall we dwell in the confines of the earth. No, we shall live on the surface ! 

Just over the crest of a hill we set our eyes on a gorgeous sight. A land so pure and unspoiled that I nearly wept.  Trees as far as the eye could see and plentiful vegetation, enough so that our herbalists and brewers will be working around the clock.

We will start by carving a small store room in the side of the hill, large enough to hold our goods, and then we will build cottages and work stations.

I can see it now. Sheep grazing over the  rolling hillsides, children playing amongst the flowers as the larks sing in the Feather trees!

My people are content at the thought.

~ Tholtig Onulsokan, Expedition leader

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Othlestoddom; The unorthodox fortress. ( an ongoing tale )
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:47:11 pm »

16th Slate, 253

The peregrine Falcon Men and Raven Women have forced us to delve deeper into the side of the hill then we would have liked. We constructed a temporary dormitory and meeting hall there. Construction of an impenetrable wooden wall is under way. Though the flying beasts will undoubtedly rise above it, any other unsavory creatures will be kept at a distance.

A group of hunters has already pledged allegiance to our cause and has vowed to watch the skies while we work.  When we fled our original home we where able to steal some equipment that might come in handy for trap building, as well a some dogs  that can be trained.

though this minor set back has startled us, we will not give up hope. With the help of the hunters work shall resume and we will prosper.

~ Tholtig Onulsokan, Expedition Leader

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:24:32 pm »

27 Timber, 253

The wall has been completed and the hunters have been keeping the Peregrine Falcon Men and Raven Women at bay. 

After much deliberation I decided that it would be best to wall off the entire encampment and create a small subterranean highway as an entrance. I am not sure why I chose to do this, but by some divine spark of imagination it seemed the appropriate thing to do.

A caravan arrived today, the first of many I hope.  I took on the job of trader in the hopes to build good relations with our neighbors. We traded what little we had for enough food and ale to last on through to the next season. I even purchased a chicken, what fortune !

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:05:44 pm »

22nd Moonstone, 253

Today there was utter chaos !

We awoke to the sound of clicking chitin and a low droning sound from beyond the wall.
 As the woodcutters outside the wall gazed skyward, a swarm of Louse Men and Women descended upon them from out of no where. Most of the insects seemed confused by the wall, but several managed to find the underground highway and rush right in.
 In the pandemonium I searched for the hunter that was supposed to be on duty and found him curled up beside a cask of ale. The Audacity !

I have ordered the posting of dogs around the entrance and exit of the highway as a precautionary measure, and the hunter has now been placed on woodcutting duty as punishment for his laziness. As for the Louse Men still within our fortress, they seemed more confused and afraid than dangerous. When I ordered the execution of the pests though I saw a very strange sight indeed.  After unloading his full docket of bolts into the poor creature, he then proceeded to bludgeon it to death with the butt of his crossbow, taking great pleasure in its death.

Since killing inspires him so, I have decided to create a squad of archers to train under him so that they too can learn this strange technique.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:31:40 pm »

If I were you I would post pictures.

Also you are having issues with harmless animal men ? Just surround your buildings with dogs and other animals. Non-aggressive wild animals flee when confronted with dogs.

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 02:54:32 pm »

If I were you I would post pictures.

Also you are having issues with harmless animal men ? Just surround your buildings with dogs and other animals. Non-aggressive wild animals flee when confronted with dogs.

Thanks for the advice !  :P I'll work on pictures.

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:57:23 pm »

14th Slate, 254

Something of a miracle has happened today.

A simple peasant by the name of Onget was possessed by and aspect of the Fey ! At first his incoherent babbling caught us off guard, he would run to the edge of our land and then back again. We feared for his sanity.
 But then, upon completion of our first craft shop, he came running back and promptly took control of it. Soon after he demanded the slaughter of three of our larger cattle beasts. After he sifted through the corpses he found several bones to hi liking and began the construction of a mysterious item.
 It did not seem to take him long to complete his task, perhaps the Fey granted him super dwarven strength. What was brought forth from the depths of the void however was something wondrous!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since the Fey have granted him with a gift for handling bone, he will from now on work solely with bone and hopefully generate mounds of valuable crafts for trade.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:52:02 pm by glipper »

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:13 am »

Do not listen to the MEMES of the PRIESTHOOD of the FORUMS! SOLIDARITY, BROTHER!

We can live without the foul stench of our industry and our peers clogging our nose-holes, in the sun! It encourages beard growth, and makes you shorter!

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 06:40:49 am »

18th Felsite, 254

An Elven Caravan arrived today and they did not even flinch at the sight of our grand, wooden wall. I was a bit concerned that they might take offence to our use of lumber, given that they act as though every tree is a former lover. Never the less, they traded some strawberry wine and seeds for the items that our new bonecrafter has been creating.

Another one of our people became possessed by the Fey, this time it was one of our carpenters. He proceeded to make a jewel encrusted crutch !

Work on the Grand Lodge has begun.  I ordered the creation of gem windows to be installed, and kitchen staff to prepare to move to the new location.

Something of concern has also begun to happen. Kobol thieves and goblin child snatchers have increased their activities. They have tried to enter the fortress in increasing numbers . I fear that a siege is immanent. 

I have implemented the use of weapon traps in the underground highway in the hopes that they will combat these incursions. 
 Nothing can stop us, We shall prevail !

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:24 am »

23rd Limestone, 255

There is much to celebrate, even in the face of war we stand strong and united.

The Great Lodge has been completed. It took a year and in the end, cost us more then we had anticipated. In order to finish our architectural masterpiece we had to clear cut the forest that we loved. With our beautiful trees gone we then had to resort to old methods of building. We began to mine. Still not wanting to delve into the earth, we prospected several locations with visible surface stone and began to cut great swaths of it out. As well as stone we found Platinum, gems , and bituminous coal. All of which will be put to good use.
 (The main floor of the lodge)
(the kitchen)
(the Dorm)

After the completion of the Great Lodge, we celebrated long and hard and In the days to follow I would be made into the Mayor of our steadily growing rabble. But tragedy was not far over the horizon, for in the days to follow my inauguration we where ambushed by goblins. Three good dwarves lost there lives, among them a child not even old enough to sit up on its own.  We were lucky that our archers were there to fend off the invasion.

To add insult to injury, several other babies where kidnapped soon after the attack. But I made a decree that for every baby stolen or killed by our enemy, we will make three more to take its place! My people followed this to the letter, having many many MANY children. Babies, one after the other dropped to the Great Lodge floor to the delight of waiting parents. So much fornication went on in our time of sadness that instead of this being remembered as the year we lost members of our family, it will be remembered as THE YEAR OF BABIES !

We thrive for another season !

~ Tholtig Onulsokan, Mayor
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:04:42 am by glipper »

glipper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 08:47:45 am »

13th Malachite, 256

I am Onul Muthkatkeskal and I have taken the position of Mayor for the time being.

A massive goblin siege occurred one week ago, and since then the fortress has been in utter chaos. We sounded the alarm but twenty people where trapped outside the walls of the fortress, by the time the archers got there, it was too late. The archers only found mutilated remains and those praying for death, which they later found.

It was this slaughter that drove the rest mad, including our idealistic mayor. Some withdrew from society, others began to babble at the walls and animals. Others still burst forth with berserker rage, killing any and all that got in their way. At one point a child, so distraught over the death of its parents lashed out violently to the surprise of those surrounding it. The child lunged at a siege operator, only to be thrown across the room and into a wall, later dieing of its injuries.

One by one the numbers of those of us left sane has dwindled. We have taken refuge in the kitchen, but I am willing to fight my way out. I have discussed it with the others and we have agreed that any of us left alive after we have reached the front entrance will set out in search for a new home.

I am saddened by my decision, but trying to command the insane is an impossible task. Between the constant tantrums and outbursts of dementia, there is no hope for this place. I am sure that word has gotten out to other villages and towns about our predicament. No one would want to come here.

Perhaps it was bound to happen, perhaps the gods are punishing our arrogance.

~ Onul Muthkatkeskal, Mayor and soon to be Expedition Leader   

(gotta love a good tantrum spiral ! :P)