Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My personal settings > ok to move from release to release?  (Read 1107 times)

USP45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In general is it ok to move my personal settings from release to release?
For example things like key bindings and macros?

If so, is it basically:
- interface.txt
- macros folder

Thanks in advance!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My personal settings > ok to move from release to release?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:50 am »

In general, it's PROBABLY safe to do so.  The only caveats will be where a menu/function has been assigned a new letter, re-assigned, etc. to accomodate for a new feature (not very likely), but YMMV.

It would be a good idea, as always, to make a backup copy of the item you're replacing or modifying for later recovery in case you do have a hitch.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:02:52 am »

-interface.txt: usually it's ok but in this case it won't be. Anytime new key designations are put in, here with tracks, minecarts etc., it's best to redefine them from scratch.
-macros should be fine as they're defined by commands and not actual keypresses.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:29:20 am »

I wouldn't recommend moving interface.txt over. Any new keys won't have anything bound to them.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:57:07 pm »

Yeah, interface.txt can sometimes be moved safely between versions if the default interface hasn't changed between versions, but better safe than sorry (and, of course, we know for a fact that the interface changed this version).  Macros should be safe unless Toady changes the way they work, which seems unlikely to happen for quite some time. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:27:10 pm »

If you're on windows, you can use winmerge to compare the differences between the two files, and then decide whats safe to bring over- it'll also make it clear when something is new in a release.  This is better than just copying it over, since you can decide to keep changes toady made.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:24:52 pm »

Also look at the file changes.txt in th top df_linux directory. It will tell you what has been changed/added since the last release.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.