Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunt for Small Creature: A fix!  (Read 1832 times)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunt for Small Creature: A fix!
« on: October 07, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »

Teleport.exe the dwarf hunting-for-small-creature into the river. If he teleports right back out and continues hunting-for-small-creature, try it again, and again; it works about 50% of the time in my experience, which means it could easily be fifty tries before you get it to work.

Do NOT try this with the magma river or chasm.

(why does 50%=50 tries? It doesn't; my experience is very limited (four trials), so it could be a 10% chance that it will work, in which case the chance that it won't work after fifty tries is ~0.5%)

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt for Small Creature: A fix!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 08:56:00 pm »

Seems like teleporting them into the magma river/chasm would be faster, though.

<_<

insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »

...and then teleport them OUT of the river once they quit hunting-for-small creature, of course.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

Its probably the whole drowning thing that forces dwarves to cancel whatever they were doing.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

Dang, just last night I was trying the one dwarf challenge and he got stuck in the searching for small creature loop and eventually starved to death while all I could do was watch on helplessly. Too bad you didn't post this sooner, you could have saved a dwarf.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 07:51:00 am »

But how can you teleport then?
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »

@Doler 12: This post should be titled "Hunt for Small Creature: Hacky Workaround".  They make use of the program teleport.exe which is available from the Dwarf Fortress Wiki.  There's no legitimate way of fixing the problem yet. =)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

It isn't cheating if it works around a bug.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »

I read somewhere that using teleport.exe leaves a "marking" at the dwarf's last position which forces all other creatures to have to lie down to pass through that tile, as if there was still a dwarf there... Am I just making things up, or is this  a legitimate concern? I guess I could just test it, but I'm lazy like that...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 01:06:00 am »

@Savok: Never said it was cheating.  I believe I called it "hacky", a "workaround", and/or "not legitimate", but definitely not cheating.  It's actually quite ingenious. =)

Still, it's not a fix, just a solution.  I know, I'm a pissant semantic. ;-P

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »

Is there a problem with the hunting for vermin behavior? Is it that they don't stop to get real food if you get any after they start hunting?

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BahamutZERO:
<STRONG>Is there a problem with the hunting for vermin behavior? Is it that they don't stop to get real food if you get any after they start hunting?</STRONG>

That is what is widely reported here. Once a dwarf starts hunting for vermin it's vermin or nothing.

I have been fortunate enough to never have dwarves hunt for vermin so I can't say so definatively from my experience. My dwarves die in different ways on full bellies for the most part.