Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Half-Open gates  (Read 3281 times)

Milarki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Half-Open gates
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:15:34 am »

An idea that could help a lot: gates that could be opened only partially. Those could be very useful to make water flow at the desired height. For example, you could use it to reduce the flow of water to 4/7, thus helping to create a "river" where dorfs can train their swimming and clean themselves.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Half-Open gates
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:17:57 am »

While your idea has merit, this is hardly the place to discuss it. The suggestions or, less likely, the modding forum is your desired discussion area.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:33:17 am »

pressure plates linked to doors and hatches can regulate water level flawlessly.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:37:23 am »

Hmm. Expanding on this, perhaps a designation for what level of water you wanted to allow pass through could be added to the floodgates, giving them a reason to be used over bridges or doors. It would be simpler than a pressure plate system, and more versatile for purposes of water manipulation.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:01:36 am »

would be cool.  Also somewhat redundant.  also would require messing with the water flow algorithm.  Floodgates do have some uses over doors, but its still fairly niche.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:39:20 am »

Pressure would still equalise the height on both sides of the gate.
[Signature]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 10:41:08 am »

Now where are those summoning rituals for Footkerchief...

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:40 am »

Now where are those summoning rituals for Footkerchief...

"I have an original suggestion"
[Signature]

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:22:35 pm »

Fractions are your friend!

If you fill the right hand room with 7/7 water, then close it off, and transfer it over to the left hand room, the left hand room will now have precisely 4/7 water everywhere.
If you want 5/7 water, make the right hand room 5x5, etc.

Since the right hand room is 2 z levels tall, it will flood off its entire top floor instantaneously due to water pressure, so it only takes a second or two to do all of this.  Bonus speed if the right hand room is fed by an infinite pressurized water source.

NOTE that instant pressure teleportation ONLY works via full 7/7 tiles.  So as soon as that top floor is drained, it will stop transferring any more water instantly.  Water will still (very slowly) trickle in from the right hand room if you leave the gate open.  But just... don't leave the gate open for more than a second or two.  If you have it automated, the standard 100 tick delay of most machines is perfect and convenient to allow all the instant pressure but virtually zero trickling.

I have done this before, and it is super fast to set up and works perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:26:38 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 05:02:27 am »

Alternately, you could just build a floodgate with a pressure plate after it, link it to the gate with a 1/X water level trigger, X being one level below the level you want. I use that to supply wells on lower and lower levels from a water tower that's filled from a aquifer.

Like this:

WWWW         W=Wall
~X p .           ~=Tile to stand on to tap water source
WDWW          D=Door
                   X=Floodgate
                   p=Pressure plate

Miner steps into ~, taps the water sources, ducks through the door, the water following him triggers the pressure plate, gate opens, space starts filling in behind him. You could also set it to trigger from a citizen, as well, but the water reaches it just fine for me.

I set mine to trigger at 1/4, so once the level reaches 5, it stops filling. This makes it refill as needed, and allows it to fill from a much higher source, without worrying about pressure causing a flood on a higher z-level.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 05:20:14 am »

You could just make the 5x4 room 1z high, and directly above the 5x7 room, separated from it by hatches or a retracting bridge.  Then you could dump exactly the right amount of water into the room, with no trickling, no matter how long you leave it open.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 04:56:05 pm »

You could just make the 5x4 room 1z high, and directly above the 5x7 room, separated from it by hatches or a retracting bridge.  Then you could dump exactly the right amount of water into the room, with no trickling, no matter how long you leave it open.
I'm pretty sure water needs to have more 7/7 water beneath it in order to begin the pressure algorithm.  If the room was 1 z level higher and only 1 tall, the water would flow only at the rate that water spreads at.  E.g., it would take 10-20 seconds at least.

The 2 tall room is so that pressure is triggered, and the swimming pool will instantly fill.  The difference becomes very important if your design requires cycling back and forth a lot.  If, for example, you want to process multiple batches of dwarves, or whatever.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.