Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Speed-up  (Read 6525 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Speed-up
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 01:44:32 pm »

Does channeling increase the speed at which you can mine through stuff. I assume it means you can mine 2 spots at once, but does it actually take less time to channel 2 tiles than to mine 1?

I'm fairly certain that it does in fact work faster that way, but only as long as you are digging downwards. Elsewise it's fairly useless that it digs 2 squares instead of 1 since you will either not need half of the tiles dug out or you will need to build floors in the empty space.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 04:18:06 pm »

Be more patient.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 04:20:45 pm »

Dear Urist McDonald

You may be surprised to learn that other forum participants are not AI computer program designed to answer your questions, but in fact other human beings who have feelings and desires just like you do. We are not employees of Bay 12 Games who are paid to provide tech support. We are also free human beings, not slaves. You can attempt to order us around, but the results will not be to your liking. 

Posts that you consider to be irrelevant or a "waste of time" are not either of those things. Oh, they may be irrelevant and a waste of time for you, but we are not here to serve you. We are here for our own reasons. For instance, one of the (minor) reasons I come here is to mock and belittle anti social idiots in ways that are too complicated for their tiny minds to comprehend.

For your edification, here is the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
   2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
   3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
   4. Requires excessive admiration
   5. Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
   6. Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
   7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
   8. Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
   9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Isn't that interesting? But the truly terrible thing about NPD is, it makes it almost impossible for a person to admit they suffer from NPD.

Wow.  This describes me quite well.
But, i'm admitting it.

This... has caused a paradox.

CALL THE DOCTOR!

Is it possible to have NPD so bad that you feel yourself inferior, but deserving of superior recognition after achieving something truly remarkable, and becoming OCD on tasks to acheive a never-realized degree of perfection, leading to a perpetual state of working incredibly hard and skillfully on something and then destroying it under the feeling it isn't your best, eventually ending in complete mental collapse and MAGMA!  MAGMA EVERYWHEEEERE!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:24:31 pm by janglur »

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 04:27:38 pm »

Dear Urist McDonald

You may be surprised to learn that other forum participants are not AI computer program designed to answer your questions, but in fact other human beings who have feelings and desires just like you do. We are not employees of Bay 12 Games who are paid to provide tech support. We are also free human beings, not slaves. You can attempt to order us around, but the results will not be to your liking. 

Posts that you consider to be irrelevant or a "waste of time" are not either of those things. Oh, they may be irrelevant and a waste of time for you, but we are not here to serve you. We are here for our own reasons. For instance, one of the (minor) reasons I come here is to mock and belittle anti social idiots in ways that are too complicated for their tiny minds to comprehend.

For your edification, here is the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
   2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
   3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
   5. Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
   6. Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
   7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

Isn't that interesting? But the truly terrible thing about NPD is, it makes it almost impossible for a person to admit they suffer from NPD.

But, i'm admitting it.

CALL THE DOCTOR!

Is it possible to have NPD so bad that you feel yourself inferior, but deserving of superior recognition after achieving something truly remarkable, and becoming OCD on tasks to acheive a never-realized degree of perfection, leading to a perpetual state of working incredibly hard and skillfully on something and then destroying it under the feeling it isn't your best, eventually ending in complete mental collapse and MAGMA!  MAGMA EVERYWHEEEERE!
it would seem that your problem could be greatly alleviated by just being a little more patient with yourself.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 05:11:31 pm »

Dear Urist McDonald

1, 3, 5, 6, somewhat 7 and 9 seem apropriate to this post. Are you trying to tell us something about yourself?

for example, OP might have been in a hurry, needing something dug out to prevent a disaster! Well, it doesn't really say so in the OP. Maybe he has limited internet access and wanted to hear it today. Or he has actual experience with people who fill up a whole thread with telling him to just relax causing him to miss the actual relevant answers. After all, not every forum is as helpful or understanding as this one.

In a way, I understand him a bit. Certainly your post was nothing but an attempt to put him in his place, showing off your knowledge and putting you in the spotlight. It contributed nothing that a "hey, show some manners" wouldn't have managed.

(Yay, I can derail a topic, minecarts ftw and ftw)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 05:46:05 pm »

But, i'm admitting it.

CALL THE DOCTOR!
Doctor who? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »

But, i'm admitting it.

CALL THE DOCTOR!
Doctor who? :P

probably. Who else?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 06:47:14 pm »

if you do not have an answer, posting will be a waste of time.

Well fine then, I won't post.

Anubis039

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 07:09:28 pm »

TG: like if honor among thieves is something then lets call it camaraderie among ironic rapping roof ninjas

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 07:23:18 pm »

I...  I had something witty to say, until the song passed ~10 seconds.  Now I'm just in awe.  If that video were even slightly less or more absurd it would be prime nightmare material.  This is like "Willy Wonka's Sudden Terror Tunnel" level of "holy shit this is going to scar me."  That hospital, is just...  I don't even.  I play DF and that terrifies me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:43 pm »

I've actually been looking for that song o-o

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 07:31:27 pm »

/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:54 pm »

Clearly, this is what settles for medical care in the HFS.

Any questions about why the elder gods locked them in with adamantine are now clearly answered.
Pages: 1 [2]