Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs running through blood and slime for.... water?  (Read 717 times)

Zaius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs running through blood and slime for.... water?
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:51:02 am »

Ok, so I'm a few versions out of date. Haven't kept a fort running decently since 40d.

Struggling to create plaster, but that's no big problem.

Bigger problem, I've settled in an evil area, and it seems to rain slime 23 out of every 24 hours a day. Walking through the thick coating of slime makes the dwarfs unhappy, tired/dizzy, and makes them bleed (despite no injuries visible).
So I've built a roof over a section of the Brook and ponds, giving access to fish and water (both marked as Zones) without horrible slime. I have booze. And yet, all of my dwarfs are running through half a mile of the map to reach one specific spot on the brook to drink the water.

Any ideas why?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs running through blood and slime for.... water?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:05:11 am »

Not really, but have you created water/fishing zones on the brook beneath the roof?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Zaius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:08:06 am »

I did.

Just discovered something... A third of along the way across the map, the brook changes from water to stagnant water. There is nothing blocking it, it just stops being fresh.

Drilling into the fresh half to direct fresh water to fort now.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:08:20 am »

also, after setting the zones:

(o)rders, (z)ones, (f) and (w) to change from 'zone = prefered' to 'only from zone'.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:58 am »

stagnant water is a permanent flag on a tile, and it permanently marks other tiles as stagnant when it touches other tiles with water.  your best bet is to ignore the stagnant tag and build a well over the stagnant water in the area where you've put up a roof.

If you're still having problems, find water in the cavern layers and build a well (they can reach down multiple z-levels).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku