Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proper soldiers in 34.11?  (Read 807 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Proper soldiers in 34.11?
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:01:07 pm »

I never had problems with my military (well, at least not these kinds of problems). But since the new version they refuse to properly equip their stuff. I have to set it to "replace clothing", otherwise they won't put on their full armor, skipping helmets, boots and more. But even if I set it to replace clothing it does not always work. Also, they strip naked as soon as I assign them then, which leads to other problems if I have not yet produced enough armor for them. :P
And in my last fortress some soldiers would get the "pick up equipment" job and never cancel it/do anything about it. They just stood there doing nothing. Even after disbanding the squad they would rather starve to death than cancel that job. Also, sometimes I had to disband the squads in order to make them do anything again, whole squads were in "can't follow orders" mode, even after cancelling all orders.

I run vanilla DF plus dfhack.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it to work like it used to do?

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proper soldiers in 34.11?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:12:35 pm »

First thing I do is clear off all the default uniforms.

Add metal mail shirt, breastplate, two gauntlets, two boots, leggings, helm, shield, and a weapon.

I prefer to make the uniforms SPECIFIC, tying each dwarf to a particular set of items.  34.11 shows claimed items in the specific items list as red, which is a huge help.  This enables me to figure out who is supposed to be wearing the masterwork and who isn't and a quick glance to see how many more of a various masterwork need be created.

Replace clothing is vital in 34.11, because they seem to prefer to wear socks and caps.

Also set the dwarves to always wear uniforms when off duty, from the military tab, and make sure the squad is active and assigned a barracks.

If that doesn't work, you got yourself a wonky issue.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proper soldiers in 34.11?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:39:52 pm »

They were not active yet, as I had no barracks. I will set them up sooner.
And I did not know I had to assign two boots and gauntlets. :D I don't use the default uniforms either though.

Off to the next fort then. :)