Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: repeaters and how to...  (Read 1010 times)

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
repeaters and how to...
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:52:21 am »

yea so how do i make a repeater? i have goblins, and water, and alot of stuff, but no repeaters

can some one give me a step by step how to?
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: repeaters and how to...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:23:18 am »

Um.. so yeah.. did you look on the wiki?

And if you have already, where do you need clarification, maybe we can help you out with some more info.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:34:56 am by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:49:33 pm »

my problem is my dwarves arn't that smart, and they only fill it up to 3 high, and sometimes 2 or 4 (mostly 3)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:02:49 pm »

my problem is my dwarves arn't that smart, and they only fill it up to 3 high, and sometimes 2 or 4 (mostly 3)

Are you talking about pond zones?  What kind of repeater are you trying to build?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »

the wave repeater

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:23:12 pm »

1) Dig a channel.

2) Build a pressure plate (multiple ways to do this, but how about triggers on 6+/7 water)

3) Link your pressure plate to whatever you want repeated.

4) Create a pond zone, and get your dwarves to fill it.  Here is where it sounds like you're having trouble.

A single pond zone will only attract a single dwarf at a time, and water that is only a single tile deep will evaporate.  Thus, the best way to set up a pond zone is to designate every single tile you want filled as a separate pond zone.  If you're making a 6-tile wave repeater, that means designating 6 different pond zones.

Make sure you have sufficient buckets-- at least one free for every pond zone.

Sit back until your dwarves fill up your channel.  If I'm not mistaken, they should fill it 6/7 eventually-- but they'll slow down considerably once they reach a single 6/7 tile in your channel, because that will cause a wave that'll kill further fill pond jobs.  When you see a single tile of 6 water, go ahead and remove the pond jobs.

5) Remove the excess water.  This is best done by designating your channel as a water source, and designating a new pond zone-- anyplace, really, although closer is easier.  Now, you have to watch your dwarves like hawks, so they don't remove too much water.  If you built a single pressure plate to trigger on 6+, you want a single tile of water with 6/7 water, while the rest of your channel is at 5/7.

Something that may help you is to look in your init files-- d_init.txt contains a variable that allows you to see fluid as numbers indicating depth, rather than just fluid/no fluid, and for some reason, the default is off.  Change this, restart df, and life will be easier.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:50:10 pm »

I imagine this will get a lot easier with powered minecarts and pressure plates