Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Influence of River/Ocean on FPS  (Read 1485 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Influence of River/Ocean on FPS
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:08:41 am »

Good evening,

I'm interested in knowing about the influence of Rivers and Oceans on FPS, notably in a case where an obsidian farm is present. Playable, or is the influence too strong on FPS?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Influence of River/Ocean on FPS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:34:10 am »

I noticed no significant FPS loss on ocean embarks. In fact, one of them gave me the best starting FPS I ever had for a 4x4 embark: 1400.

Rivers might be slightly worse, since there's moving water involved on the map edge where it drains. Shouldn't be a huge deal though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:44:37 am »

This is a good start, seems that preferring Ocean embarks versus River (?) is a way to go.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:46:27 am »

I noticed no significant FPS loss on ocean embarks. In fact, one of them gave me the best starting FPS I ever had for a 4x4 embark: 1400.

Rivers might be slightly worse, since there's moving water involved on the map edge where it drains. Shouldn't be a huge deal though.
Slightly off topic, but how do you get such high numbers? Mine is capped to 100.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 07:48:41 am »

Go to your init.txt and set the cap to 0 (infinite).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:32:59 am »

It's slightly offtopic, but I heard that on embarks with Ocean (and Mountain) biomes you can't grow above-ground plants (anywhere on that embark). Consider that when choosing where to start.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:54:37 am »

I have an ocean side embark, I haven't noticed any FPS hit but I got screwed because my river flows into the ocean and my ocean tries to fill my rivers. I ended up with no moving water.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:58:05 am »

It's slightly offtopic, but I heard that on embarks with Ocean (and Mountain) biomes you can't grow above-ground plants (anywhere on that embark). Consider that when choosing where to start.
I'm sure i've farmed above ground on those biomes?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 11:35:12 am »

Its a new bug. I ran into this a few days ago when 1/5th of my map was a tiny strip of mountains. No where, no matter what I did, would above ground plants grow. I could put in the plot and select the plant. I channeled, I put it in fresh soil. It always said something about "no muddied soil available" (not exact I think.) But its on bug tracker, and its been confirmed.
I voted for BANANA!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:01:33 pm »

Big major rivers (especially those that end on a curve) can strip 30 FPS off my usual speed. It appears to be related to the number of tiles that aren't at 7/7.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »

Its a new bug. I ran into this a few days ago when 1/5th of my map was a tiny strip of mountains. No where, no matter what I did, would above ground plants grow. I could put in the plot and select the plant. I channeled, I put it in fresh soil. It always said something about "no muddied soil available" (not exact I think.) But its on bug tracker, and its been confirmed.

I am on an ocean and forest biome embark right now. You can't grow above ground crops above the ocean, or on the ocean bottom. But you can still grow them in the forest biome. If you had both ocean and mountain, and that was all you had you could not grow above ground crops.

As a funny side effect the caverns under the ocean biome are nearly empty of plant life with very few trees and no underground plants, but my forest biome's caverns are completely full of plants after 20 game years.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:37:07 pm by Andrakon »
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO