Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Top Answers on Minecarts from Fortress Of Fortress  (Read 1958 times)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Top Answers on Minecarts from Fortress Of Fortress
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:10:21 am »

AH SO EXICTED!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.1260

ToadyOne's recent answers in the Future Of Dwarf FOrtress thread really gives a clear idea of what minecarts can really do.
These are really what people hoped minecarts will be able to do, and really gets me excited about future idea's now that they have been confirmed.

Top things that make me excited from what has been said is:

1) Minecarts will hurt creatures depending on the speed and mass of the cart.

2) Minecarts going too fast at a turn will create "fun".

3) Minecarts will be able to jump ramps and land on tracks on the other side of a hole.

4) Dwarves will eventually be able to ride in minecarts at some point in the future, but not necessarily this release.

5) You can create a Newton ball out of Minecarts :O think of the contraptions that could be built.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top Answers on Minecarts from Fortress Of Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:24 am »

Based on (1), I am already thinking of ways to make minecarts weaponized.
If mass will count at how much damage a minecart will do when it crashes into a creature, what would be the best item to put into it? We wont know for sure until we know how a minecart fills up, but I assume that if lead bars are placed into the minecart that it would have a lot of added mass.

Based on (2), you would simply need to test your minecart track before going into full production, and add in the needed "slow down" tiles at the right turns.

Based on (3), (4), and (5), I assume there will be a lot of minecart roller coasters created.

I think Dwarves should get a happy thought from riding a minecart roller coaster :O
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:17:10 am »

Double Post.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:23:29 am »

I'm imagining making the entryway that leads to the depot go down the center of a half-pipe type construction, filled with rows and rows of weighted minecarts ready to be released by my "panic!" switch. Perhaps with the powered rollers and some clever use of other minecart stuff, I can get them to indefinitely shoot through the half-pipe, over and over until everything is mushed into a fine paste.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 02:24:34 am »

Based on this information, my previously posted idea in the minecart thread appears perfectly feasible.

In addition, the recent devlog about powered "pushers" for minecart automation opens many doors, as it will allow you to ensure that a minecart will always have sufficient energy to be deadly, if that is the stated intent.  It also provides a convenient means of activating and deactivating carts using gear assemblies.

That you can impose newtonian collision physics on minecarts defacto implies multiple carts per track. This means you could have rapid succession carts of doom blasting down a hallway, for maximal carnage.

To be determined later:
Necromancer prisoner in cage, loaded in minecart hallway sweeper......

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:28:34 am »

Hm, i am wondering when somebody will build a df-style large hadron collider.
Knowing these forums, not very far in the future.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:36 am »

I don't know.

Yet somehow, this seems strangely relevent...