Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Miners as Migrants - Is This Normal?  (Read 1842 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Miners as Migrants - Is This Normal?
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:43:43 am »

34.07, 125-year-old world.

I believe that migrants are now generated as part of the world's history... for example, if there's a war on currently, a lot of your migrants will have military skills.

However, I have gotten NO miners as migrants at all in 34.07.

Yes, I know I can just hand Urist McUselessMigrant a pick and turn on the Mining labor... but then I have to train him using a soil/sand level, if I don't want to lose useful stones/ores.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: No Miners as Migrants - Is This Normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:08 am »

Historical miners are pretty rare. I spotted two out of a village of 300.

So, all you need to have is 151 migrants.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:10 am »

You can train them on useless rock as well - there's only so much gabbro that anyone could ever need.  Unless you have generated thin layers, in which case it's your own fault.

Also, in the latest versions the migrants tend to come with skills that your fort is missing.  So if you have two or three legendary miners, you won't get many coming to stay.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:57:52 am »

1) it's entirely possible that you haven't gotten any just by chance. It's not guaranteed that you'll get every profession, or even one specific one, regardless of whether or not Toady has reduced the population of fishery workers and siege engineers.

2) How many migrants have you gotten thus far? 10 dwarves? 50? 100? That certainly matters in the issue.

3) Given the importance of mining in particular, I'd say that you're better off training your own rather than waiting, under almost any circumstances. For some professions, I just wait for a migrant with the skill unless I need it right then (moon, mandate) and haven't yet gotten that migrant...but without mining, you don't even have a fort, right?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:58:06 am »

You can train them on useless rock as well - there's only so much gabbro that anyone could ever need.

Bah!  Never enough gabbro!  Need more rock for towers, walls, and roads!

Quote from: SmileyMan
Also, in the latest versions the migrants tend to come with skills that your fort is missing.  So if you have two or three legendary miners, you won't get many coming to stay.

I don't know about the latter.  I have a very good hunter as part of my original 7, but I get rangers as migrants constantly.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:01:37 am »

If mining increases your fighting ability with picks, does fighting with picks increase your mining ability? If so, then I think you have a dig free way to legendary miners :D
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:34 am »

If mining increases your fighting ability with picks, does fighting with picks increase your mining ability? If so, then I think you have a dig free way to legendary miners :D

Yeah it does.

Anyways, immigrant miners are indeed quite rare, and always have been, though IIRC 40d had more migrant miners. Unlike all these damn mildly useful farmers.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:05:54 am »

I usually get one every two migrant waves
Along with a woodcutter.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 08:35:45 am »

make a few forts with 50 legendary miners, abandon and watch the legendary miner migration.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FortKiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 09:11:03 am »

Fighting with picks and mining use the same skill, so you can just hand a few peasants a pick and toss them into the danger room.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 09:13:48 am »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 09:38:19 am »

Fighting with picks and mining use the same skill, so you can just hand a few peasants a pick and toss them into the danger room.

And then your peasants get their skulls caved in.