Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War EVERYTHING  (Read 1703 times)

CyberReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War EVERYTHING
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:44:04 pm »

So with the relatively recent changes to animal training (I haven't played in a while) I decided it would be fun to have an army composed entirely of hilariously inept war animals; much to my disappointment, the vast majority of creatures cannot fulfill this role.  I know modifying the raws to rectify this is fairly simple, but seeing as there are a lot of creatures to mess with, I figure I would check and see if this has already been done and is available for download; no sense in wasting time redoing someone else's likely superior work.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: War EVERYTHING
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:23:01 pm »

Maybe ask the modding forum? I know such a thing already exists, don't know if it does for the current version though

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:26:01 pm »

If not you could always easily and quickly solve the problem yourself using the Replace function instead of trying to copy trainable onto every animal.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

CyberReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:50:11 pm »

Maybe ask the modding forum? I know such a thing already exists, don't know if it does for the current version though

Yeah, I thought about that right after I posted, not sure why I decided here was the best place.

If not you could always easily and quickly solve the problem yourself using the Replace function instead of trying to copy trainable onto every animal.

Hmm, if it isn't too much trouble, could you explain or link me to an explanation of this function, I have never heard of it; it sounds like it could be useful though, even outside of this current situation.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:57:56 pm by CyberReaver »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:57:56 pm »

Ctrl-H in Notepad opens the Replace function. In this case, you'd probably want to replace [TRAINABLE] with [TRAINABLE][TRAINABLE_WAR], and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] with [COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE_WAR]. Although I'd recommend first going through and removing all instances of [TRAINABLE_WAR] so you don't double up on tags. You can do that by putting [TRAINABLE_WAR] in the first box and leaving the second one empty.

EDIT: Never mind, just replace [TRAINABLE] with nothing, then [PET] and [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET][TRAINABLE] and [PET_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE]. I had a brainderp.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:01:35 pm by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:01:08 pm »

Hmm, if it isn't too much trouble, could you explain or link me to an explanation of this function, I have never heard of it; it sounds like it could be useful thought, even outside of this current situation.

Well, what text editor are you using, Notepad, Wordpad, Word? In all of those the command you need is Ctrl + H to bring up the Replace function, though I'm sure every text editor must have one.

What you'd be looking to do is add trainable to most every animal, if I am not mistaken. If that's the case then all you need to do is open up each creature file and replacing [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE]. That'd then make every exotic creature trainable for war, and it takes about 20 seconds for each file, piece of cake. If you wanted to do the same for domestic animals then you just have to open creature_domestic and replace [PET] with [PET][TRAINABLE]

Of course that would mean that some animals that could already be trained end up with more than one [TRAINABLE] tag... but that probably completely harmless. Still, if you wanted to make sure it didn't happen then before you do the original replacing I mentioned you could remove ALL the [TRAINABLE] tags with Replace by replacing [TRAINABLE] with a blank.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

CyberReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:05:45 pm »

Hmm, if it isn't too much trouble, could you explain or link me to an explanation of this function, I have never heard of it; it sounds like it could be useful thought, even outside of this current situation.

Well, what text editor are you using, Notepad, Wordpad, Word? In all of those the command you need is Ctrl + H to bring up the Replace function, though I'm sure every text editor must have one.

What you'd be looking to do is add trainable to most every animal, if I am not mistaken. If that's the case then all you need to do is open up each creature file and replacing [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET_EXOTIC][TRAINABLE]. That'd then make every exotic creature trainable for war, and it takes about 20 seconds for each file, piece of cake. If you wanted to do the same for domestic animals then you just have to open creature_domestic and replace [PET] with [PET][TRAINABLE]

Of course that would mean that some animals that could already be trained end up with more than one [TRAINABLE] tag... but that probably completely harmless. Still, if you wanted to make sure it didn't happen then before you do the original replacing I mentioned you could remove ALL the [TRAINABLE] tags with Replace by replacing [TRAINABLE] with a blank.

Much appreciated, I have never heard of Ctrl+H before, kind of sad really, I can think of a lot of times where it would have came in handy.  And yeah, it shouldn't take very long to do this, I've already modded a few myself but this will expedite the process.  At this point though, this really should be in the modding forum, when I'm done, I'll upload it somewhere and post a link to a post in the modding section for any interested parties.  And again, thank you for the help.  :)

Edit: Also a thank you to Zaerosz, whose post I somehow completely missed.  Sorry 'bout that.

CyberReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:49:28 pm »

One last post here, if anyone else wanted the files, here they are, or at least here is a link to the link.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106835.0

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:01:25 pm »

If you're unable to remember the shortcut, it's with the Find feature (also very handy) in the Edit menu on notepad and pretty much every other text editor.