Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Please - a roguelike that works (other than DF and Zapm)  (Read 10081 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Please - a roguelike that works (other than DF and Zapm)
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 09:59:17 am »

Dunno why the hate for Dredmor. I'm a RL old hand, and I've enjoyed the hell out of Dredmor.

There's also Incursion, although it's dead as far as further development, which is a shame. It had a lot of promise.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 10:13:00 am »

For me, aesthetically it's way too busy and everything seems like it has a fine layer of silly on it. That doesnt' stop it from being a good game, but it may not be to everyone's taste.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 10:41:53 am »

Dredmor is fun, if not a little bit too easy (mushroom farming yay). Also, I like the humor; it resembles the Monkey Island series' brand of humor.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:35 pm »

Weighing in on dredmor, don't treat it like it's supposed to be crawl and you'll have a good time. It's a casual dungeon crawler with rogue-like elements. My only real critique against it is that some skills are useless with nearly any build and some are insanely OP on any build that doesn't actively work against them.

But in a single player game where you're trying to build a skillset that owns constantly, I suppose these kind of polarities are intrinsic. It's just that I think every skill should have a place to shine, and a lot of them end up completely outshone.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 08:17:38 am »

Crawl is pretty fun but if you're interested I advise getting into it before they nerf everything remotely fun and make the game a total slog-fest.

I also recommend the beta of TowerClimb. Incredibly fun, five bucks, and really simple while being so damned hard and unfair at the same time.

Nachtfischer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 10:50:11 am »

If one's not too focused on pc, one of the best roguelikes (and games) ever made is Shiren The Wanderer. The original version was available on SNES (only Japanese, but English fan-translations are available) and there was a remake released worldwide for NDS recently.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 2 [3]