Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Clothing Requirements  (Read 3383 times)

JackoWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Clothing Requirements
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:10:50 pm »

It looks like children aren't supposed to get negative thoughts from not having clothing in the new version, but the children in my fortress are tantruming left and right. Those kids are angry, and my clothing industry...ah, doesn't exist yet.

My fortress was created in .06, so I'm thinking that there may be something in the save raws that need changing, but I don't see anything that leaps out at me. Anyone happen to know if I have to regen to have children chill until I can get some weaving done?

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Clothing Requirements
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:19:32 am »

It looks like children aren't supposed to get negative thoughts from not having clothing in the new version, but the children in my fortress are tantruming left and right. Those kids are angry, and my clothing industry...ah, doesn't exist yet.

My fortress was created in .06, so I'm thinking that there may be something in the save raws that need changing, but I don't see anything that leaps out at me. Anyone happen to know if I have to regen to have children chill until I can get some weaving done?

is it possible that they got angry before you updated and then they just haven't gotten happy fast enough to avoid tantrums? (and of course, once one dwarf tantrums.... )

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 05:10:57 am »

just get rid of the children. They don't do any labour anyway, lazy sods

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:02:56 am »

is it possible that they got angry before you updated and then they just haven't gotten happy fast enough to avoid tantrums? (and of course, once one dwarf tantrums.... )

This is exactly what happened to me. I mined out a room in the ice and burrowed all the insane and tantruming children in there. As soon as they stop being unhappy I let them out, but so far that's only happened to 2 of them, and 13 of the other 14 have died. One last insane kiddo and the rest seem to be gleefully naked and maturing into werebeast fodder nicely.

JackoWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 12:55:44 pm »

Yeah, 'clothing madness' claimed 3 children (2 melancholy, 1 stark, raving mad) before there was enough shopping to satisfy these moody, emo teens. Their memorial plaques proudly stand in the halls of heroes. In the dusty, embarrassing corner.

Thank God that phase is over. ;)

It definitely seems that (at least in my case) new children are affected, too. I guess you have to regen to get the benefit of the patch, as far as children and clothing go.

JackoWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:24:55 pm »

*Sigh*

OK. Having survived the great clothing riots of 252, now it seems that peeps get angry when you don't have replacements for their grungy socks/coats/what-have-you. Evidently, even if they are fully clothed with upper clothing, lower clothing and footwear, our citizens become quite...irate...when things rot off their body.

I tried marking worn clothing items to be dumped, but...they just don't want to let it go. And when it finally rots off...their anger knows few bounds. The Expedition Leader was just strangled, in fact.

Anyone have any advice, other than further expand the clothing industry to, ah, produce *everything*?

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »

is there any way to disable the nakedness negative thought in the files?
I have a nice fort going on from the 06 version and when I updated, everytime tantrum spirals in the first month into the game.
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:02:28 pm »

Anyone have any advice, other than further expand the clothing industry to, ah, produce *everything*?
Increase fortress wealth quickly (I usually train up a couple of engravers) and attract sieges.  Destroy goblins, mass unforbid clothes, dwarves rejoice.

Or, if you have a healthy meat industry, you should be getting a good amount of hair in your refuse piles, plus you probably have some shearable animals. Spin to yarn, weave into cloth, make pants.  Not as quick but easier than a plant fibre industry (if in limited quantities) if you embark with breeding animals like I do. 

Don't forget that you can train your leatherworkers by making leather clothes in addition to armor -- for example, shoes, trousers, etc.  Leather is a pain in the ass really but I tend to ask the caravan to bring tons, and training up on clothes rather than armor will yield a more usable product -- save the armor-making for once they know the difference between a shoe and a hat.

Plus, I find that the elves, humans, and (by default) dwarves all bring significant amounts of cloth and silk with them so just start knocking stuff out as soon as you can.  The nekkid dwarves don't seem to mind what my trainee clothiers churn out. 

Lastly, regarding discarding old clothing -- my dwarves seem to do it as long as there's plenty to choose from but some of them take longer than others.  Some seem to wait (or are busy enough, I guess) until XX worn, some will swap stuff at X worn. If it's only X worn then they tend to put it back in the stockpiles, it's only at XX worn than they actually put them in the refuse pile.  I find they are quicker to find new possessions when idle, it doesn't seem to be a high priority task (good!).  Putting clothing stores near your meeting halls might be a good plan for efficiency's sake. 

If you're truly desperate, drown your children, nobles and/or fish dissectors and let the survivors fight over their socks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:05:44 pm by fluiddruid »

JackoWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 06:12:16 pm »

Thanks Fluiddruid!

The problem in this case is that my citizens aren't just happy being covered Upper/Lower/Shoes- they'll also pick up, for instance, a Robe, Coat or a Turban or whatever. If no replacement for that is available, they seem to keep it until it rots off, and then draw the negative thoughts from that.

Now, I *reaaaallllly* don't want to have to micro-manage stocks such that some of every type of clothing is available, so I was hoping there might be some alternatives. It sounds like, at least in your experience, the answer is 'no'. ;)

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 06:37:53 pm »

Honestly, with invaders, I don't really worry about it.  I still have surplus clothes with a pop of over 200 with the amount of incoming gobbos.

If you don't want to micro-manage and aren't getting sufficient invaders (or are destroying them with their clothes), just go for overproducing I suppose?

I think there is some flexibility on type.  I mean, they want hand coverings to replace their old gloves/mittens, but they don't need to be the exact same type... right?  So really you're looking at Upper/Lower/Shoes/Socks/Head/Hands, not all the possible type variants.

JackoWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 06:43:20 pm »

Fluiddruid;

I wish that were the case, but at least for coveralls like Robes and Coats and such, it doesn't appear to be. They'll merrily grab whatever, wear it to shreds, and then riot. ;)

Ah well, what would Dwarf Fortress be without micro-managing. Am I right? :)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 07:03:59 pm »

Sounds like a case of deleting some of the clothing in the raws so there's only one possibility for each area.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 12:17:58 pm »

Fluiddruid;

I wish that were the case, but at least for coveralls like Robes and Coats and such, it doesn't appear to be. They'll merrily grab whatever, wear it to shreds, and then riot. ;)
I'm not finding that to be the case.  I have plenty of dwarves in robes and coats, and they seem to be discarding worn items as long as something appropriate is available.