Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Literally no flux stone  (Read 3747 times)

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Literally no flux stone
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:40:30 am »

I've genned like 3 worlds so far, trying to make them more patchworky for a selection of biomes in one embark, all three of them had next to no flux or sedimentary layers.

One of the worlds didn't have any, what so ever. The other two had like 3 tiles or so of it... Its really starting to piss me off and im not sure if this is the right place for this thread but I am going slightly insane.  :-\

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Literally no flux stone
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:49:44 am »

Toady fixed the finder so that  "find embark" agrees with the layer list. Most people somehow assumed this means that the finder will now find all flux. Why do they assume that? The layer list hasn't listed all flux in a very long time. The most obvious assumption is that Toady fixed it so that the finder will not find flux that isn't listed in the layer list. Which means you can not search for deep flux like marble anymore. You can only find surface flux in the finder.

I must ask how you know that your world had no or few sedimentary layers? Are you using dfhack prospect from the embark screen? Or just randomly embarking, taking a look, going "Hmm, no flux" and killing the game? Also, how big of a world are you generating? Pocket universes are so small you may not get a lot of variety. Also, are you changing the volcanism settings? Higher volcanism means igneous stone instead of sedimentary stone. A lot of people want volcanoes but don't seem to realize that by tweaking things to get lots of volcanoes they are guaranteeing they will never see sedimentary layers again.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:51:14 am »

Also, there was a post that a very low mineral scarcity causes other minerals to override flux, if im right.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:59:46 am »

I am not at all certain about that "low mineral scarcity means no flux" bug as I have been completely unable to reproduce it. I have genned lots of worlds with mineral scarcity at 100, and seen flux using dfhack's prospect. I've seen worlds where the finder reports NO flux. Not a single flashing green X but when I look with dfhack, there is flux.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:02:36 pm »

even without sedimentary layers you've got a decent shot at finding deep marble.  either use reveal/prospector or make sure you hit all the cavern layers before you assume you don't have it.

also leave the mineral scarcity at default.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Destructicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:08:09 pm »

I've genned 12-15 worlds in the past week or so using .06 and .07, sized from pocket to medium.  I have had mineral scarcity in the 100-200 range, and have found VERY few embark locations with any flux (using finder).  I have checked about 15 other embark locations chosen randomly and used prospect to see if there was truly no flux, and they were dry.  The only other parameter I changed was jacking up the number of volcanoes, and all or most of my embarks were around those volcanoes.  There could have been flux at locations away from the volcanoes, but that flux would still have been unreported by the finder.

I genned a world last night with lots of volcanoes and mineral scarcity set to 1000.  When I ran a find looking for flux, the world was covered in it.  I am 100% convinced that mineral scarcity of 100 drives out flux like the plague, though it is still possible to find some at maybe one or two locations on your map.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:09:28 pm »

Yea i did put the mineral scarcity to 100, maybe that wasn't a great idea (classic MORE must be BETTER mindset)

I have made a highly volcanic world but I was under the impression that setting the mesh to 1,0,0,0,1 sorted the sedimentary layer problem out?

And oh right, the site finder does not tell all now, well, cheers dudes ! :D

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:29:10 pm »

Don't set the mineral occurrence to "Everywhere."  Set it to "Frequent" instead.  You'll see flux stone on the site finder again.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 02:07:30 pm »

re volcanism:

If you use an advanced utility like perfectworld, you can set it so that there is a lot of volcanism, but it is extremely low density and noisy in terms of individual volcano-supporting sites.  I.e., only single 1x1 embark tiles will be igneous and have volcanoes, scattered everywhere, and everything around them can potentially be sedimentary.

Kind of cheaty in terms of realistic geology, but if you simply want to play a game not worrying about which toys are available (e.g. planning to make a computer or science fort, etc.), it works.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »

You could play with the volcanism mesh so that low-volcanism areas are more likely. For instance, I've got my world gen set so that it uses a 2x2 mesh and the 0-20 volcanism range appears 10x as often as the 20-40 range, which appears 2x as often as the other 3 ranges. In other words, on world generated with those parameters, sedimentary stones make up about 80% of the world's surface. I've never had a world where it didn't generate at least a dozen sites with flux, even with my other desired parameters (evil, aquifer, no river, multiple shallow and deep metals). As long as all of the ranges are at at least 1, the meshes don't seem to cause errors.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 02:38:45 pm »

no worldgen/mesh expert here, but I do know that for several years at least, embarking on a volcano was a great way to not find any flux.  unless you get a high-volcanism place next to a very low volcanism place, you won't get sedimentary layers and volcanoes at the same time.  Although, I have found both on vanilla embarks.  Your best bet for flux on volcanoes is still going to be deep marble.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:57:01 pm »

marble is metamorphic only, and should not appear in the same embark square as a volcano.

However, again, if you set the noise super high in a utility like perfectworld, you will get metamorphic and sedimentary, etc. right next to volcanoes like 50% of the time at least with the numbers set correctly.  In addition to having 200 volcanoes in a world.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »

I've been genning medium patchwork worlds with 100 mineral scarcity and usually ~1/4 or 1/5 of the world has sedimentary layers full of flux; out of around 50 genned worlds, maybe two varied from that to a significant degree.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable