Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Optional Options or Do you have the willpower not to be  (Read 5580 times)

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Optional Options or Do you have the willpower not to be
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 10:38:00 am »

My vote is with the 'autosave' system. Out of the player's control, no convenient saving before choosing a risky path, but it's better than crashing and losing your entire night's progress.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 10:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>

As I said, the nature of this game is one in which dying enriches the world just as much as doing well.  Using saves to prolong the inevitable only harms that, which ultimately makes the game less fun for the player.</STRONG>

Says who? I don't have hundreds of hours to spend "enriching the world". If you want to painstakingly model the rise and fall of every settlement in the history of the world by hand, knock yourself out. Doing so should not be a required part of playing a fortress, however.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: RPB ]

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2006, 12:17:00 pm »

Oh a huge HELL NO to mandatory autosaves, unless the save is improved to take less than 15 seconds on a mediocre system.  I don't want my immersion to be interrupted for even that 15 seconds while I'm concentrating, let alone the minute+ it takes on my relatively decent system even with only 60 dwarves.  I HATE these kinds of forced interruptions with a passion (can you tell?  :D), and have abandoned games that forced it.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

My last fortress died off on the third year because of a floodgate bug; the prior one, because of the civil war bug. They were extremely successful before that. Being able to autosave every 30 minutes would have been a godsend, letting me safely store my fortresses in preparation for a better version instead of having to start up a new one and get more and more frustrated with the game each time I play. I love DF (played it for three days straight, losing two fortresses and giving two up for perfectionism' sake) and I believe it has tremendous potential... I also find it too tedious to constantly restart simply because I wasn't made aware of certain bugs.

I wouldn't mind playing "Iron Man" and actually watching my fortresses die off because of attacks or poor management, by the way. But losing due to bugs and crashes is a part of life, and not one that should be encouraged right now.

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anvilsmith:
<STRONG>I wouldn't mind playing "Iron Man" and actually watching my fortresses die off because of attacks or poor management, by the way. But losing due to bugs and crashes is a part of life, and not one that should be encouraged right now.</STRONG>

Autosave's not a bad idea at all provided it doesn't lag the system much. The problem's more quicksaving or having options that make the difficulty of the game next to nil. If you want an easy game, just play on a warm, calm, heavilly forested map.

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2006, 01:12:00 pm »

Why not just save-scum if you wanna be a whiney sissy about dying horribly in a game entitled SLAVES TO ARMOK: GOD OF BLOOD, CHAPTER II: DWARF FORTRESS?

And to reiterate: GOD OF BLOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!
  :p

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Insalubrious ]

TheOtherHorseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2006, 01:14:00 pm »

I find myself saving and backing up then continuing play a lot, merely because I live in morbid fear of crashes and bugs. I'm perfectly happy failing miserably because the game killed me or because I was stupid, but I absolutely despise getting screwed by a bug.

I expect this strategy to fade as the game becomes more stable.

A lot of the fun in this game is enriching your world by getting slaughtered in it repeatedly. Or by slaughtering your impudent dwarves.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: TheOtherHorseman ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »

I would be okay with autosaving until saving is more stabilized.

But after that, it should be removed.  Because you should have to deal with the consequences of your mistakes.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »

If it really is fun to 'enrich your world' in this way, then people will do so. And eventually, as your fortress gets large enough, unstable enough, reloading to change a few things you've done will do absolutely nothing to change the ultimate outcome.

Pardon me for a bit of blasphemy, but as it is, the Legends screen isn't too impressive, and it's not why I play the game. When more dynamics get added, sure, it'll get much more interesting, but right now it just keeps track of who killed who, when settlements and entities were created, and the art objects you've found. It's a rather small part of why the game is fun.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2006, 05:59:00 pm »

Which is why auto-saving would be fine until the game is more developed all-around.

Also, the idea of world-creation options is highly appealing, as one could make a higher-risk higher-reward world, or a sandbox-funtime world, both of which would be fun.  Being able to switch things up when things get rough, though, would be unvalorous.

You could choose a "War Torn" world in which many hostile legions roam about willy-nilly, or a "Dying" world in which skeletons and ruins litter continents, or a standard mixed world which gives you a heapin' helpin' of it all.  On top of this you could choose save-settings and stuff.  But there should definitely be rewards for choosing not to save backup files (But not reward enough to cause people to deny said options and save-scum anyways.)

EDIT:  I know that I'll be enthusiastic no matter what happens with the game (barring a sudden abandonment, or it becoming an FPS or something).  My views here are just responses to the views of others that happen to disagree upon what would ideally be best for this lovely game.  Suchly, they should be given little mind.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2006, 06:22:00 pm »

There will probably be a bunch of posts by the time I'm done, but anyway.

The save system discussion seems to come down to the in-game system of managing saves, since copying the save folder is already possible.  In that sense, save restrictions seem to come down to the matter of realizing your desired method of play, the community schism argument, the game vision and how the game is supposed to play, and also bugs/the specs of your machine (which suggests allowing some customization).  If I missed something let me know.

Due to current crash bugs, and how good saves have been at squashing them, I think an optional yearly or even seasonal autosave would be helpful for me.  People with slower machines could turn it "off" to avoid the save time, or "on" to avoid the load time, as they like.

However, I want to understand the objections better as well.  Options below are taken to mean various options, not just save options.

(1) If willpower is a problem, it seems like having an option to lock a world (is that what JT mentioned?) into a certain options set (most likely the main set or harder) would stop temptations from being an ever-present threat.  This would be irreversible, but you'd know what you are getting into.  If we made it reversible, then the willpower issue would arise again.

(2) I don't yet understand the argument about community schism.  Is the argument that things such as the forums and wiki and so on would suffer from various styles of play?  Is community shrinkage the proper response?  Even with options, the game elements remain the same and the core game would not be watered down, given (1).  Is the forum/wiki problem that serious?  I don't think you'd suffer from a shortage of hard-option perm-death players around here.  TT and I are, anyway.  I might occasionally take a break to read a forum post about a small sandbox fortress, but I'd never make one unless I were testing a bug.

(3) I don't understand the argument about people not experiencing the full depth of the game, since they'd be aware of what they are missing to some extent, and many of them wouldn't play at all otherwise.  Once a player leaves, what they miss of the full game is immaterial.  That said, it should be clear (ASCII) that we're not watering down the game just to keep a larger audience.  But adding a resistable easy-to-implement option to allow somebody to experience whatever piece they want of a game doesn't seem like an awful thing, at least given my lack of understanding of (2).

(4) As for game philosophy, we've never thought of this game as a roguelike in the sense of "death lessons", though it plays like that.  Threetoe and I didn't play Hack 1.03 to learn the tricks necessary to survive.  We just liked populating our high score list with the dead -- the worst mistake was to forget to name your killer if you had a high score, since it messed up the other colorful names in the list.  In DF, you'll always be able to learn a lot from dying, and the world is enriched by it, so in that sense, your personal experience with the game independent of a community would not change.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2006, 09:42:00 pm »

I think that this is entirely too much concern over an optional feature.  The only really important points of the discussion:

* An autosave option would be a very valuable feature at the moment because we're testing for crashes;

* Players will always be able to back up their saves manually no matter what we do;

And, most importantly,

* Dwarf Fortress is a single-player game.  The only valid criteria for whether or not someone is playing it 'right' is if they're having fun.

...this is a non-issue.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Sophismata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2006, 10:10:00 pm »

Auto-saving is cool, I don't think anyone has a problem with autosaving, provided it's not mandatory.

Regarding Toady;

2) Schism is a small argument on my part. I just feel that, if too many options are introduced, it could be harmful to the community. A lot of the fun is telling people what's happened, which can be somewhat hampered if everyone's playing a different version of the game.

3) I honestly think that dying allows people to experience more of the game. They can try new strategies, see new monsters, coddle new crasftsmen. Saving tends to lead to a "must not lose" mindset, which can result in someone staying fixed on their first or second fortress; missing much of the game.

4) I think of the game as a roguelike in many ways; it's a personal opinion but the categorisation seems to fit nicely. One of the elements like that is the harsh gameplay... and populating your world with dying fortresses is kinda cool.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2006, 11:52:00 pm »

Well, remember, the game is moddible via its data files.  Schisming is already built-in, it just hasn't been seen as much yet because the kinks are still getting worked out of the main game.  Once things settle down and Toady has a format that will last long enough for it to make sense for him to document it, we'll probably see almost everyone using their own little mods anyway.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2006, 02:54:00 am »

Wow. The game was released 11 days, and people are afraid of a...Schism! Like, it's already a RELIGION...So we could have Conservative Dwarf Fortress Players(Losing is fun!) and Liberal ones(More freedom = good!). I think it's pretty obvious I'll choose the latter. While I do understand how people want a challenge, remember NO ONE is threatening you to force you to use these options. As for the community problems, if you are really so worried about it we might use a 'spoiler'tag for some things. Personally, I'd also like more options not just for fortresses but also for character generation during adventurers.
Pages: 1 2 [3]