Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Returning to original shape after transformation - [SOLVED]  (Read 2181 times)

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Returning to original shape after transformation - [SOLVED]
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:14:19 am »

So after some mucking around, I've figured out how you can turn into an all-powerful fire elemental of firey doom. Only problem is, turning back into human form doesn't seem to be working very well, i.e. not at all.

It seems I can only make one turn-into-another creature action, and after that I cannot change into any other creature, ever. Although the return interaction is definitely firing, because the text of 'you return to human shape' is appearing when I use it.

So, question is, what am I doing wrong? How can I return to human shape after sating my thirst for destruction?
If this isn't possible, is it possible to automatically return to human shape after a given amount of time?

RAWS:

Added this to my 'wizard' creature (basically a duplicate human)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The entirety of the fire elemental creature, the return-to-human interaction is near the top:
(Yeah, needs a bit of work to make it more firey-doom, but it's a start)

The turn-into-firey-elemental-of-doom interaction:

And the return-to-human interaction. Only male version atm, when I get this working I'll duplicate and create a female version:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:59:21 am by Lord Urist »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Returning to original shape after transformation - Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:17:26 am »

Only one transformation can be active at a time.  Your turn into fiery doom transformation has no end point, so it never wears off, and blocks any further transformations.  You need to give it an ending point.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:33:13 am »

Aha! Knew I was missing something. How does the number associated with the END: correlate to time in-game? Frames?
This means that there isn't a way to turn back when you wish, only and always and the end of the timer?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:01:16 am »

Aha! Knew I was missing something. How does the number associated with the END: correlate to time in-game? Frames?
This means that there isn't a way to turn back when you wish, only and always and the end of the timer?
the END correlates with phases, wich in turn correlate with (in-game) seconds.
Not sure how much seconds a phase is tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:18:49 am »

33600 is one season in fortress mode. If I am not wrong the Adv. Mode uses a 72times faster rate however. (Or was it slower?)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:08 am »

Alrighty, got it working nicely! Thanks to all for their help. :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to original shape after transformation - [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 01:17:46 pm »

Ticks are equal to 1 second in adventure mode and 1.2 minutes in fortress mode. In fortress mode the average dwarf takes 1 step every 10 ticks (which is hilarious if you think of it time-wise since it means each dwarf is so slow that they only take one step every 12 minutes). :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:07:29 pm »

What appears to be really strange is that if I have my 'wait' time on a fireball or whatever spell be 100, then I just have some small-ish delay before I can cast it again. But it seems the duration of a transformation spell should be no more than ~20, because otherwise it takes AGES to wear off. I don't think the two are syncing up nicely there...

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 04:53:40 pm »

Nope, those values use completely different units.  Although I'm not exactly sure what units the interaction cooldown periods use.

If you need any help with modding in transformations, the link in my sig has some useful information I've found out so far :)
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼