Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: n00btastic problem  (Read 791 times)

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
n00btastic problem
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:40:00 am »

Ok so I've been sitting her for a bit with my thumb up my butt wondering WHAT is the damn problem with my DF when I try and play it with a new graphic interface. It seems no matter -what- graphic set I use from the dwarfwiki, it always ends up screwing over and giving me cut off screens Where theres a good chunk of the text and such dissipearing off to the right. And for some reason the game wont let me go into a full-screen for it at all. Just gives me an error and gives me a ghetto-jacked up window screen that takes up the entire screen anyways and looks god awful. Anyone know what to do?

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: n00btastic problem
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:51:00 am »

To be the exact the error message is 'Mode switch failed' Running in windowed mode.

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:07:00 am »

Check that you have changed the resolution of the game to the right resoluton for the tileset. Many tilests use a 1:3.2 relation, such as 1280X400. I'm not really sure about the fullscreen problem, though I remember having troubles with it myself, until someone suggested to me that I should try windowed(hence the 1280X400). So basically, check your init file and make sure the resolution you use fits your tileset.

[ October 05, 2007: Message edited by: Bluefire ]

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:31:00 am »

This is currently what im looking at

This is the size and font for windowed mode.  Changing to 800x600 and the 800x600 font might make you happier.

[WINDOWEDX:640]
[WINDOWEDY:300]
[FONT:curses_640x300.bmp]

Full screen info.

[FULLSCREENX:1280]
[FULLSCREENY:960]
[FULLFONT:curses_800x600.bmp]

If this is set to YES, the tiles will not be stretched, but rather the game view will be centralized, surrounded by black space.  Tiles that are too large will always be compressed rather than running off the screen.

[BLACK_SPACE:NO]

Graphics info, most of it as above.  Set GRAPHICS to YES to turn it all on.  This will use the "raw/graphics" folder for tile information.  Currently this is limited to whatever creature graphics you have downloaded.  The game comes with a few pictures to demonstrate.

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:900]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:Herrbdog_16x16_tileset.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:900]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Herrbdog_16x16_tileset.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

As you can see I've been trying to fiddle with the sizes, but very little luck in fixing my problem. It looks relativly well in windowed mode. But the graphic objects are pretty small and I'd like them to look bigger. Also I would still enjoy going into full screen instead of windowed XD What should I do?

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:50:00 am »

Change graphics to No. I use herrdog's tilest too, and you only to replace the regular tileset with it. after that just use a calculator to find the best resolution for the 16X16 tileset on your monintor.

It should look like this:

[WINDOWEDX:640]
[WINDOWEDY:300]
[FONT:Herrbdog_16x16_tileset.bmp]

Full screen info.

[FULLSCREENX:1280]
[FULLSCREENY:960]
[FULLFONT:Herrbdog_16x16_tileset.bmp]

Again, make sure the resolution is right.

[ October 05, 2007: Message edited by: Bluefire ]

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:50:00 am »

This is what my windowed screen currently looks like. Cuts off slightly on the right and the dwarves are tiny! How do I fix?

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 06:53:00 am »

Ok regular tileset...wheres that at now? XD Sorry im so oblivious to what im doing.

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 06:58:00 am »

Ok! Fixed the problem with the full window screen. I can get into it now. But my dwarves are still kinda small. Anyway to make their icons bigger?

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

Hey, that's something I'd love to see Toady implement: an option as to how many tiles will be shown on the screen. Tough mammaries for us until then.