Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pet project  (Read 754 times)

hinzerhaus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pet project
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:11 am »

I am trying to create a program that provides challenges for fortress mode. I started getting bored with normal fortress mode because i think to far ahead and if things are not going how i expect them to i abandon and retry, but that is not very dwarfy. so i set about making a list of challenges and i am going to put them in a program that can display them one at a time and give a series of small objectives. now i can only think of a few and hit a brick wall. I want to be able to give the program to my friends as part of an introductory package, so the objectives cannot be completely out their, but crazy enough to provide a very DF feel. for example one of the easier beginning goals is "create farms to feed your fortress without using plump helmets. a more advanced one would be something like create a dining room with a water fall in the center providing pleasant mist  to all eating (or partying) dwarves. so if anyone could provide a challenge they do or even a progressing chain of challenges it would be much appreciated

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Pet project
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »

If you wanted to be really fancy, you could take all the tricks and challenges from those lists, sort them by difficulty, then make a generator that combines two or more of them in random ways.

Procedural dwarven stupidity.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pet project
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:13:29 pm »

Create a suicide panic room for your nobles, with magma steel walls!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute