Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you think that miner that unleashed HFS in the intro movie thought.  (Read 4882 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, this video has been around since the original release.  There was no warm rock back then, you just had to be very careful when you started seeing obsidian -- and it did flow up fast enough to cook a miner pretty easily unless you had a large overflow / spillway for it.  even then it was chancey.

The movie is faithful to the geology of the original 2D versions, and the miner is about where the magma river should be, since there was not a visible crossing of it like with the cave river and chasm.  I imagine the rocks are a light color as it would have been hard to make them contrast well with the background and the dwarf.  in other words, an artistic abstraction based on the limits of the medium.

This view got shouted down the last time this topic came up, but I'm glad to see it has a little more support now.  not quite sure why i'm glad, seems kind of petty of me, really.

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't remember clearly, wasn't the HFS in scattered pockets between the magma river and the candy?
I do remember that once you started mining candy a timer started and eventually your fort would just die from digging too deep.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah, there were scattered glowing pits.  they were not surrounded by Adamantine, you would just hit them totally randomly.  And the king would keep mandating that you dig deeper..

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

The intro was made during the era of 2D, hence the cave river and the chasm. However, it was obviously made with 3D in mind. Hence the tall mountain with the tall entrance, the pick falling downward.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

If it was magma, it was awfully polite to leave a nice big tube to drop a pick down, and to not engulf the miner until he looked around inside. And it must have been remarkably horrifying, to make a dwarf gasp in fear. HFS seems likelier.

And what was he thinking? It's obvious.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it was magma, it was awfully polite to leave a nice big tube to drop a pick down, and to not engulf the miner until he looked around inside. And it must have been remarkably horrifying, to make a dwarf gasp in fear. HFS seems likelier.

And what was he thinking? It's obvious.

I always imagined a scream.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

OH ARMOK TENTACLES!!! D:
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile

There is teal stuff around him so I assume he dug through candy into raw Fun.
Could always be microcline.

Death123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NO, NOT THIS TIM-

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is teal stuff around him so I assume he dug through candy into raw Fun.
Could always be microcline.

Dwarves can stroll pass dieing babies, sieges, ignore being cut in half, live without a heart, and dont have heartattacks.

The dwarf screamed. It had to be terrifying.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've always assumed it was from the old 2D version because of the water. Its a pretty wonderful video no matter what.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile

Well I can tell you what the dwarf on the other end of his communicator was shouting.

"Snake? ...Snake?! SNAAAAAAAKE?!?!"
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

Oh, Crap!

edit: someone beat me to it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Pages: 1 [2]