Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen Issues  (Read 765 times)

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
World Gen Issues
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »

So I've been primarily running around playing adventure mode in the new release and only just now started to try to gen a world to play fort mode in. I have found this to be rather difficult compared to previous versions of dorf fort.

What I find hard is finding a good embark place with what I like to see. River, no aquifer, metals, flux, yada yada. Well it seems like every good place I get has tetrahidrite....I seem to be finding a massive lack of hematite or iron producing ore in all my embarks.

So is this just me or is it harder to gen worlds in the new game compared to old ones.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »

A few obligatory statements:
Turning up volcanism will reduce the amount of sedimentary layers in the world. No sedimentary layer means no coal, no iron, and only marble for flux. Use the site finder to search for multiple deep and shallow metals as well as aquifers (if you use them), then use DFhack to prospect locations that you like that came back positive. If they've got a sedimentary layer stone / sedimentary flux, the site will probably have iron and coal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:59:59 pm »

A few obligatory statements:
Turning up volcanism will reduce the amount of sedimentary layers in the world. No sedimentary layer means no coal, no iron, and only marble for flux. Use the site finder to search for multiple deep and shallow metals as well as aquifers (if you use them), then use DFhack to prospect locations that you like that came back positive. If they've got a sedimentary layer stone / sedimentary flux, the site will probably have iron and coal.

Thanks I wasn't messing round with volcanism I was genning worlds in basic world gen with mineral occurrence turned up to frequent or everywhere. I was still finding just tetrahidrite.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:04:01 pm »

What I find hard is finding a good embark place with what I like to see. River, no aquifer
While it's not guaranteed to be the case, aquifers will occur routinely in the presence of water. If you wish to eliminate one cause of rejection, and you're not going to play on aquifers anyway, just mod them out. It's easy, and if you're not going to mess with them anyway, you're really increasing the number of places you can embark.