Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just recording my dwarven history, and found that context changes everything.  (Read 996 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going through the history of my new world, as it helps me connect to a certain civilisation. As I'm going through, the first skirmish "The Scalded Conflict" is recorded, where a handful of dwarves adn giant bats fought a handful of elves and grizzly bears. The conflict was over the devouring of bodies (damn elves).

My first thought was, "yeah, stupid cannibals!". Then I thought back to which civ it was. The dwarven king Imush Toolflash is a necromancer. They weren't pissed at the elves for moral outrage of eating the dead, they were pissed because they were destroying all the good bodies!

---
Also found that the first dwarf-beast battle was against a zombie hydra in the year 3. It wasn't even close - the dwarf slaughtered the zombie hydra. Wait, what? Holy crap Reg Fenceisland - you rock.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

The dwarven king probably wasn't a necromancer at the time he was king - once they become a vampire or a night creature spouse or whatever, it will say it in their legends mode all over the place, but that's just because the data on what they were gets overwritten by the night hag spouse stuff later on.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Just DF's awkward title tracking system at work again

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I might be looking in the wrong place as well, as I'm only browsing the history through the ages section. I've come across other claims of necromancers creating books, without any word of becoming necromancers.

Yup, if I look at the history of Imush Toolflash separately, she became obsessed with extending her mortality at year 31, and learned the secrets of life and death at year 65. She wasn't a necromancer at the time, but her gaining necromancer-status was not recorded in the history of the ages as an important event.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile

I might be looking in the wrong place as well, as I'm only browsing the history through the ages section. I've come across other claims of necromancers creating books, without any word of becoming necromancers.

Necromancers aren't the only ones that write books.  Demons that trick civilizations into thinking that they're gods also write books.

Yup, if I look at the history of Imush Toolflash separately, she became obsessed with extending her mortality at year 31, and learned the secrets of life and death at year 65. She wasn't a necromancer at the time, but her gaining necromancer-status was not recorded in the history of the ages as an important event.

Actually, that probably means that she never became a necromancer (or you just missed it).

It's quite possible for a historical figure to become "obsessed with their mortality" and yet never become a necromancer.

You might want to check out Legends Viewer for browsing through your legends alongside Dwarf Fortress.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.