Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't smelt pig iron?  (Read 2948 times)

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't smelt pig iron?
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:33:24 pm »

Am I doing something wrong here? I have iron bars, limestone, and a hell of a lot of coke but it won't allow me to make pig iron.

Playing with Masterwork mod if that changes anything.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't smelt pig iron?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:35:15 pm »

Magma forges?  If yes or if no, either way put stockpiles near the forges.  There's issues with distance and workshops, only seems to show up with smelting jobs.  Make little 1x1 stockpiles and come back with success or failure report.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:38:42 pm »

Figured it out, had a different problem. No crucible=I had coarse iron, which can't be used to make pig iron.

DOH.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:51 pm »

And once again, Masterwork Mod causes false issues.  I hate that mod simply for how many of these threads pop up.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:54:28 pm »

I usually play LFR, I just gave Masterwork a shot (I like the interface, instead of editing crap out of th raws I just click buttons) but the extra complexity is a bit annoying.

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 11:16:06 pm »

Masterwork gets rid of pig iron bars to simplify the process (so you don't have to juggle iron bars and pig iron bars in order to make steel bars). Instead you smelt the ore into coarse iron bars at a smelter or blast furnace, then hammer them at the crucible to make iron bars. These can then be used to make steel bars.