Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grid-Based Fortress Design Tools - Android / iOS / WinMobile / etc  (Read 1284 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are a few PC fortress design tools out there and I've been thinking about tools for the on-the-go designer. We can't always be near our DF computer or even online for remote desktop.

For Android:
Right now there's AndCAD, but it runs about $35. There are graph paper image makers, but you can't draw on the screen. I went looking at knitting tools and found something free.
I give you: LittleKnitter

You can type in a letter and tap it into the grid with the "draw" part of the dropdown menu in the top middle of the image. You can also erase or toggle, which erases what you drew and draws where you erased. It's not the easiest interface to use, but you can save and load. The only thing really missing is copy and paste.

Anyone have iOS software for those users?

Quick, someone link me all the PC tools so I can update this post.

QuickFort
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:43:17 pm by BigD145 »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grid-Based Fortress Design Tools - Android / iOS / WinMobile / etc
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:59:58 pm »

Cool discoveries! I would love something on iOS!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:37:40 am »

Look up iOS knitting pattern programs and see what you find. You might also try "doily" or "lace" patterns. I saw an Android lace pattern program that just plops down prefab designs on a grid. It wouldn't work as it was, but someone might have a different way of doing the same thing. An endless grid with user defined tiles would certainly do the job. OR you could make Lace Fortress.

The grid paper software can be opened in image editing software, but that's not easily usable with a tablet or usable at all with anything in the 4-5 inch region of screen sizes.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »

Couldn't you just use a mobile spreadsheet app? Google Docs would work for that (free).

I thought I read one of the PC tools accepts .xml or comma delimited file imports...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:13 pm »

somebody really should make a utility for this that allows you to just do actual DF stuff and then import it into the game.

Import it as a pattern of DESIGNATIONS, of course, not actually built stuff.

Wouldn't work for everything, like situations with large open pits that would cave in if you just designated them all at once.  But for most purposes it would be awesome.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:03:48 pm »

Exporting into a Quickfort format would be good.

I'll have to look at spreadsheets. I didn't even think about using those.