Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chupacabras  (Read 836 times)

A_Cuter_Triangle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chupacabras
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:45 pm »

This is a very tiny suggestion, but I was hoping for chupacabras (livestock-blood-sucking vampires; literally means "goat-sucker" in Spanish) when the vampire release came out.  It would be nice to have vampires that crave other things and would give a use for all those barrels of blood that the caravans bring.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Chupacabras
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:34:08 pm »

Toady has been planning on implementing many different varieties of vampire, but only implemented a single one because he felt the need to release something after so much time had gone by without a release. 

Night creatures that are similar to vampires, but do other things, probably will come, but it might be a better idea to try coming up with something that works better with a procedural system, where random bits and pieces of lore are cut-and-pasted together in a big mix-and-match.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:09:37 am »

Was he even planning animal vampires? Because the chupucabra is sorta one.

Though personally I don't see it as a procedural beast.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »

Could be an aspect of procedural vampire creation. Depending on type a vampire could need blood from:
Same species (dwarf if vampire is dwarf, goat if vampire is goat)
Any intelligent (can_learn and can_speak: e.g. dwarf, elf, merpeople)
Any animal (lacking can_learn or can_speak)

If more than one, the listed order there would be order of most nourishment/preference. So a vampire type might be able to get blood from any civilized people, but prefer its own kind. Or it could only be able to drink from animals. Or it could be able to drink from civilized people or animals, but prefer the former. The order of preference is so vampires don't become too tolerable. Could also make it so if animal only, they are more likely to kill.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:39:53 pm »

It could either be applied to animal-men (which are already capable of being a vampire), or could be used in conjunction with a transformation that makes the vampire transform the way that a werecreature transforms into a new type of psuedo-humanoid beast.

Wendigo threads:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76487.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=86286.msg2958328#msg2958328
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6298.msg77577#msg77577

Also, why not bring back up this old thread: Alien creature behaviors and myth, which was a brainstorming session on night creatures from mythology.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare