Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Disallowed moods in dwarves hauling animals"  (Read 4673 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: "Disallowed moods in dwarves hauling animals"
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:59:47 am »

I think the idea here is that since the overall number of moods available in a given fortress is dependent upon 3 things, population, tiles dug, and wealth, IIRC; then you can insure that the proper dwarves get moods by making it so that the unwanted dwarves don't fill one of your mood slots that could else wise be used by a good dwarf. I think that this would probably work, though it would still be possible for you to get a mood on an unwanted dwarf while they were in-between jobs, eating, drinking, or sleeping; and it would also lengthen the amount of time that it takes to actually have a mood occur.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:01 pm »

The more dwarven solution would be for the dwarf to always use the animal in question for the mood.

This is a dragon leather sandal. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of dragon bone and menaces with spikes of dragon tooth.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »

I fear you're more likely to end up with dwarven children making wooden flutes than legendary weaponsmiths, but who knows.

You might also be ahead to try and give more dwarves at least dabbling skill with useful arts, especially if they have no moodable skills.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 03:48:06 pm »

I don't think this will work.  Pretty sure that, in one of the QA threads, Toady himself gave a brief overview of how moods occur.  Apparently, every so often the game goes through each dwarf, sees if that dwarf is capable of entering a mood (e.g., hasn't already made an artifact, and now isn't handling an animal), and then the game randomly decides if that dwarf enters a mood or not.  So the game doesn't decide that "some dwarf is going to enter a mood," only "this dwarf enters a mood."

So if all your bad-mood-skilled dwarves are constantly hauling animals, you can cut down on the number of bad artifacts.  But it shouldn't affect when any other dwarves enter a mood.

Unless I'm misreading what you're writing here, that's at odds with my own experiences in .31.25 anyway.  I've savescummed before someone went into a mood, and next time loading the game someone else got the mood.  It seems that the game really does decide that on day X, someone will get a mood if anyone is eligible.  It then goes through and checks (maybe randomly) for an eligible dwarf and they get the mood (which may also be of a random sort, I don't recall).

Anyway, as related to the topic at hand I'm guessing the bug fix is indeed either related to preventing dwarves from hauling an animal to a workshop with them the whole time they're mooding, or is to prevent a deeper issue none of us are really familiar with.

If it's the former, I must admit I'm a bit surprised, because normally the game is content to let little things like this just wreck a fort.  "Oh, hauling the goat to the farmer's workshop to milk it?  Too bad, mood for you!  Enjoy the goat starving to death next to the craftsdwarf shop and generating miasma."  This might be a merciful fix to things related to taming animals, but I'm again surprised, because it feels a lot more dwarven to just let the mostly untrained dragon stand next to the craftsdwarf shop and burninate everyone who comes too close.

I'm thinking it's probably related to the underlying jobs system somehow and is a bandaid on top of a deeper problem Toady doesn't have time to fix right now.  Might prevent jobs from getting completely broken for the moody dwarf, or having animals get stuck being hauled by the dwarf eternally, or other silliness.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 03:58:43 pm »

Unless I'm misreading what you're writing here, that's at odds with my own experiences in .31.25 anyway.  I've savescummed before someone went into a mood, and next time loading the game someone else got the mood.  It seems that the game really does decide that on day X, someone will get a mood if anyone is eligible.  It then goes through and checks (maybe randomly) for an eligible dwarf and they get the mood (which may also be of a random sort, I don't recall).

I just had the same situation occur, but with different outcome:  I saved, tried to breach magma, and partway through an initial success, some dwarf got a mood.  And then my miner caught on fire, so I killed the process and tried again.  Only this time, no dwarf mooded until well after I got the magma stuff finally breached properly.

As for fixing the problem without having any statistical effect, it should do all the checks it always has, completely ignoring animal hauling status.  Then once it decides that a dwarf is gonna get a mood, queue the mood up internally, and as soon as the dwarf is done with the job and looking for a new one, the mood is the job that gets "picked".  In fact, this mechanic could potentially be used for a dwarf doing any job.  That way, a dwarf is not so ADHD to get so completely distracted by a good idea to endanger the fort for other similar (and similarly silly) reasons.

Now I know some of you think that the above solution isn't very dwarfy, but I'm personally of the mind that dwarfiness be damned, silliness like that should be allowed in the game because it's silly.  At most, it should be left in despite being silly because there are greater complications or greater priorities.  Of course, it's obviously up to the Toad in the end.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 05:07:53 pm »

I hope that he fixes the everyone can do a "pens/pasture animal" job even when they don't have any hauling labour enabled.
"Animal Hauling" seems to be only used to haul cages/animal traps (both empty or with an animal) and
"Animal Caretaker" seems to be a place-holder for when veterinaries actually work.

It's really annoying when your legendary crafter stops making master-works that you need for trade to "pen/pasture" a dozen "cavy pups" meanwhile lots of useless dwarves are just chilling at the meeting zone...  ???

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:10:04 pm by Kaos »

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 05:44:00 pm »

Anyway, as related to the topic at hand I'm guessing the bug fix is indeed either related to preventing dwarves from hauling an animal to a workshop with them the whole time they're mooding, or is to prevent a deeper issue none of us are really familiar with.
I seem to recall seeing a bug on the tracker related to pasture animals getting stuck in the middle of workshops, so this fix may be to prevent that situation.
Pages: 1 [2]