Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sun berry farming?  (Read 5799 times)

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
sun berry farming?
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:10:30 pm »

i have tried on two different maps(in a good area) to start up surface farms, i make three farm plots, and at first i have no options, that's to be expected..

then i gather some plants, and the options appear, i make one farm into fisher berry, one into wild strawberry, and the third into sun berry
the sun berry farm, never starts
the other two farms, start up fine

i made sure i had plenty of farmers, nothing was forbidden or such, cooking all seeds forbidden..
i repeatedly send out tons of people picking plants everywhere, i think i assigned about 20 farmers on one map, the other two farms are kept full up, and sun berries never start..

what am i missing here?
do sun berry farms need something specific?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: sun berry farming?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:18:04 pm »

they need sun berry seeds.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:19:10 pm »

Brew the berries into sunshine.  That will yield seeds that you can then plant.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

mikelon

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »

Did you place the sun berry farm adjacent to a stagnant water source and use that water source as irrigation?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:36:06 pm »

I can never quite gen a region that naturally produces all of the surface crops.

The only way I can get sliver barb and sunberry is to mod them into all temperate biomes, and remove the good and evil tags.

My "endangered" dwarf fortress (basically, dwarves are nearly extinct, or at least appear that way) has whipvine, which means its a savage biome.

The elves and humans don't have sunberries. :(

As for "can't plant", yes, you need seeds.  Likely you have actual sunberries in your stockpile. Brewing sunshine will get you some seeds to plant with.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »

Did you place the sun berry farm adjacent to a stagnant water source and use that water source as irrigation?

You don't need to do that.

If you are capable of farming other types of seeds, you can farm sun berries.  If you aren't planting any sun berry seeds, it's because you don't have any.  You will have the ability to select planting sun berries from the time that you first get a single sun berry, even if you have no actual seeds to plant.  Brew those berries, extract the seeds, and you'll have the ability to plant them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:44:56 pm »

ah, i see what you mean, i have a sun berry, which enables the option, but untill someone eats or brews the berry, there is no SEED present
that makes sence
i wonder why i never run into that with other types then, i guess sun berries taste bad and i'm unlucky with brewing?

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:50:49 pm »

ah, i see what you mean, i have a sun berry, which enables the option, but untill someone eats or brews the berry, there is no SEED present
that makes sence
i wonder why i never run into that with other types then, i guess sun berries taste bad and i'm unlucky with brewing?

I don't think you can be "unlucky" with brewing. As far as I know brewing always yields alcohol and seeds.

And sun berries do not "taste bad"--indeed, they produce the most valuable alcohol in the game, so brew 'em up!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:55:50 pm »

that makes sence
Sunberries are rather rare in nature, from my experience.

Most other plants have a chance on wild gathering to have one of 3 outcomes:

1) nothing of value is collected
2) a useful plant item is gathered
3 a seed is gathered

With common crops like strawberry and prickleberry, you get enough seeds this way straight up to start planting with.

With sunberry, though, I find that they are so damned rare even on good biomes that mostly your odds favor options 1 and 2.  You might get maybe 4 or 5 sunberry plants after mass designating an area. (Likewise with whipvine).  So, you end up with a small handful of berries. You have to brew their punk asses right away for seeds if you want to get them started, and you have to work your way up from just those few seeds.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 02:58:22 pm »

that makes sence

I don't think you can be "unlucky" with brewing. As far as I know brewing always yields alcohol and seeds.

And sun berries do not "taste bad"--indeed, they produce the most valuable alcohol in the game, so brew 'em up!

"Unlucky in brewing" means that sunberries just haven't been selected yet when the brewer is picking things to brew.

Counter this by making a stockpile as close to the still as possible, and enabling only sunberries in it, and removing sunberries from all other stockpiles so that you get sunberries transferred over right next to the still.  (make sure it is closer than all other possible stockpiles), and you should be able to force the brewer to brew some sunberries.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:11:06 pm »

that makes sence

"Unlucky in brewing" means that sunberries just haven't been selected yet when the brewer is picking things to brew.

Counter this by making a stockpile as close to the still as possible, and enabling only sunberries in it, and removing sunberries from all other stockpiles so that you get sunberries transferred over right next to the still.  (make sure it is closer than all other possible stockpiles), and you should be able to force the brewer to brew some sunberries.

Or, just go to your cooking menu and disable the 'brewing' option on every plant but sunberries.  Set brewing on repeat at the still.  When your brewer complains that he's got no more plants to brew, go back to the kitchen menu and re-enable brewing on the other plants.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:16:01 pm »

i checked on the map i was playing, and i dont appear to any any sunberry options?

does this mean that even though i found the plant, my gatherer failed to find a berry?

edit: i assumed they found something useful when i watched the sun berry option appear for my farms, clearly this means "we confirmed the plants grow in this area" not "we can start farming this plant", as i assumed?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:21:04 pm by enizer »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 03:18:58 pm »

You need to process the berries first before they yield plantable seeds.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 03:20:19 pm »

i checked on the map i was playing, and i dont appear to any any sunberry options?

does this mean that even though i found the plant, my gatherer failed to find a berry?

If sun berries don't show up on your kitchen menu, then you don't have any sun berries.  Your Herbalist may not have managed to successfully gather any yet.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 03:43:46 pm »

Check your Z-stocks menus and see if you have berries and/or seeds. No need to guess about it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.