Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to avoid spreading salty/stagnant water everywhere?  (Read 2471 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to avoid spreading salty/stagnant water everywhere?
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:32:46 am »

How can one avoid getting salty/stagnant water everywhere?

In the new version it seems like almost all murky pools are stagnant. This wouldn't be too bad, but the water tends to get tracked. And, as you may know, about both salty and stagnant water, it stays there, permanently, if any water that was ever stagnant or salty ever touches a body of water once on those tiles. (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Water#Stagnant_Water)

It creates a bit of a problem. Even with the greatest care and diligence, it's likely Urist McSpatters will accidentally get in the clean water of your fortress well and pollute the whole plumbing system with some stagnant water from the murky pools outdoor he had splashed on his shoes. Or, maybe a bucket used to fill a well had some stagnant traces in it. Same deal.

Even when first embarking, murky pools occasionally overlap the local river, causing the whole river to go stagnant (or sometimes, just a little downstream, but it's still annoying and feels buggy).

How can I avoid anywhere with stagnant water, AKA find an embark with no stagnant water? There's no warning for it, and it seems to be everywhere now, not just in swamps, but forests and foothills of mountains, too. It's highly annoying and seems to be a bug, but I'm pretty sure it's been reported already.. like here (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5232) and here (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1376).. It makes it very difficult to have a clean water source in places where this behavior is present.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to avoid spreading salty/stagnant water everywhere?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:56:41 am »

Fully enclosed reservoir so Urist McSplatters can't splash around it it. Use pumps to remove salt. Does this work for stagnant as well? Embark with aquifer. Infinite clean water.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:42:19 pm »

use aquifers.  Ignore surface water.  Water tracked on shoes won't spread stagnancy, only water that spreads as 1/7 2/7 etc  will flag tiles for stagnancy.

otherwise just be careful.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:56:30 pm »

I still don't know how to harness the power of deal with aquifers.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:08:07 pm »

The easiest way is to cheat with DFHack to find exactly where the aquifer is. Otherwise, get some spare picks and migrants and have fun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 02:14:01 pm »

What I mean is even when I spot one, I'm not sure how to work with them.
Do you just pump from an unmined aquifer stone?

Or do you go ahead and mine it and hope to God you can control it.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 02:59:21 pm »

What I mean is even when I spot one, I'm not sure how to work with them.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Aquifer#Dealing_with_aquifers

I tend to use the cave-in method.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 03:17:06 pm »

I just realized that stagnant water is a lot like ice-nine.

Just in case you don't get it.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »

So I've noticed something interesting about stagnant water in my fort.

Basically my fort is a big square built over a river with 4 bridges that cross over it.

What I've found is that any water which lies under the bridges has become stagnant. (Any water that is located "inside.")

So my river looks something like this now in terms of water quality:

(S = stagnant, W = fresh)

SSS
SSS
SSS
SSS
SSS
SSS
SSS
SSS

What's really interesting is the rule isn't 100%. Water flowing from underneath the bridges into water that is classed as "outside" turns the fresh water stagnant even though it's not underneath the bridge.

Secondly, the spreading effect isn't in totality. Just past the final bridge of my fortress, the water quality returns to fresh. Even stranger still, there are murky pools within the stagnant sections of the river itself and tiles of fresh water within stagnant water sections. They are isolated spots near where the water quality changes. It looks something like this:

(M = Murky Pool)

WWWW
WSSS
MSSS
SMSS
WSSS
SMSS
SSSS

Some of those spots of fresh water are also labeled as inside.

So I have no freaking idea what's going on anymore. But it would explain why people's non-pumped cisterns are getting contaminated, because water flowing underground seems to be getting labeled as stagnant, because it the flow goes underground without ever going above ground again.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:59:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti