Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: soldiers changing name on their own!  (Read 514 times)

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
soldiers changing name on their own!
« on: March 25, 2012, 02:38:31 pm »

so i'm finally learning how to make proper soldiers without danger room and that involves 2 dwarf squads to maximize time spent in training instead of slacking, to keep things organized and not mess up when replacing losses etc. and since i have all not "expendable" dwarves named somehow i name all soldiers like "sword1", "spear2" and so on, but sometimes they remove the nickname on their own and it makes me lose time renaming them. why it happens and how to prevent that?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: soldiers changing name on their own!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:41:45 pm »

Don't assign nicknames in Dwarf Therapist - it isn't smart enough to update the nickname on the dwarf's historical figure entry (or its soul), so it ends up resetting once the dwarf gets a title.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:47:49 pm »

Oh sure, there could be a logical explanation for it, but why waste your time on needless logic? How far has it ever gotten you in life?

Instead I propose that the blame be placed solely on the sheer audacity of your dwarves! They gain a few skill levels and all of a sudden they think that they’re the bee’s knees, that they’re ‘above’ the petty naming conventions that you have given them, and revert to their own. Openly defying you!

Have them killed.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:52:55 pm »

NOT having them killed is why i'm going through this to begin with :<