Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarven civ has no leaders?  (Read 1265 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
dwarven civ has no leaders?
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:26:06 pm »

For my recent worldgen (the one with all the spiders), I turned up volcanism, reduced the number of cavern layers and a few other things.

The game had a considerably difficult time genning a playable world.... but did finally gen the one I am playing.

6 dwarven years have passed, and no dwarven trade liasons have shown up, nor any humans. Only the pointy eared menace.

Curious, I checked the civ screen.  There IS a local dwarf civ.... but it has no leaders?

Does this mean I will never have a baron?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: dwarven civ has no leaders?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:27:09 pm »

This means you'll never even get a migrant.  Hope you like children, they're your only source of eventual labor now!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:31:23 pm »

I shall have to turn off dwarven birthcontrol in the init files then....

What, did the local dwarven civ crumble to dust or something?  What would cause this?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:33:55 pm »

Goblins? Elves? Werebats? Kobol-pff, no.

I suggest giving Legends Viewer a try and finding out who your enemies are.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:34:14 pm »

This isn't 100% true.  I've had one or two civs with no visible civ leaders and I've still gotten migrants

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:37:28 pm »

I haven't been getting migrants ....lately...  I did get an initial migrant wave or two. Currently at 19 dwarves.

I haven't gotten any migrants for at least the past 3 years.

They didn't all move HERE did they?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:40:35 pm »

You get two migrant waves no matter what.  After that, it's from the civ.

Think of those first two waves as "individuals or small families surviving in the wild, come to your fort for shelter".

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 09:41:52 pm »

You get two migrant waves no matter what.  After that, it's from the civ.

Think of those first two waves as "individuals or small families surviving in the wild, come to your fort for shelter".

Nope, I got waves of migrants for years.  It could have been the remnants of the civ or something, I guess.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 09:45:28 pm »

Awesome!

When I complete the archology megaproject with this embark, it will be *ripe* for community play!

The map constantly spawns wild boars, ravens, and such.. and that's with invaders off.  I know it has several goblin civs that appear to be thriving.

No migrants == hold onto your panties lads!

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:46:05 pm »

I played a fortress like this once, intentionally. No migrants beyond the first two, no leaders to be spoken for.

It was headed by a maniacal Priestess of Armok who led the last of her people into a bloody uprising against the elves (and their kobold masters) who had grown so large that they had almost exterminated her people, and all of dwarfkind.

I enjoy starting at war with elves and wish that it occurred more often, and that combined with a dead civilization where every day is a desperate struggle for survival, and the life of every dwarf is precious... it gets my it makes me happy.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:59:25 pm »

Coincidentally, these are perfect for permafort ideas.  Like 1,000 year dragon breeding.  Turn off invasions, and nothing will pause your game.  Turn birth announcements off, and it'll run constantly for centuries.  Get DFHack to utilize workflow for booze upkeep and your fort will outlive anything.  Let it run while you sleep!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:03:21 pm »

This is possibly one of the best forms of encoragement to complete the megastructure.

The site *DOES* have a volcano.  I am in the midst of clearing away unnecessary and irritatng soil layers so the archology can be built over the top.  This also creates the stone needed to build the arco.

I'm glad I didn't trade off the anvil! Its freakin worth more then gold! No human and no dwarven caravans == no buying any! 

That's ok, the site should have suitable metals to make more deeper down. So far the only ores have been casseterite, tetahedrite, and copper though.....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 07:21:29 am »

Coincidentally, these are perfect for permafort ideas.  Like 1,000 year dragon breeding.  Turn off invasions, and nothing will pause your game.  Turn birth announcements off, and it'll run constantly for centuries.  Get DFHack to utilize workflow for booze upkeep and your fort will outlive anything.  Let it run while you sleep!
Strange moods :I