Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bunch of Questions and Construction Advice  (Read 1202 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bunch of Questions and Construction Advice
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:20 am »

I'm planning on doing a waterfall in my next fort, and would like to hear some advise on how to create a safe and efficient one. Furthermore, how much does it affect the FPS?

Secondly, I've been reading on this idea, were in the middle of a dining room there is an area walled of area by glass windowns, to which goblins are dropped from 10levels above, showering the area with blood. How does it influence Dwarfes and what are the benefits of doing it?

Additionally, what are the other applications of glass windows? Could they be used to fight cave adaptation and how?

Furthermore, how can I create Dwarfs (might mispell this) who 'don't really care about anything anymore', is related with the kill-drop mentioned before?

How should I design my arena for fighting captured goblins, any tips on making it?

Considering the weapontraps made out of glass, are they actually efficient in the sense that they can hurt armored targets? Or does 10 serrated discs just so much carnage that it's good?

Also interested in knowing if leather is the best material for underneath clothing for the military dudes.

Then I'm interested in little bit of modding:
  1) How do I need to change the raws to remove that different background color of engraved walls?
  2) How do I need to change the raws to be able to pile wood in a stockpile?

And finally I'm interested in hearing the death-rates of your forts, as I'm trying to not lose any dwarves, but it's getting harder now with all those sieges and ambushes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Bunch of Questions and Construction Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:44:47 am »

mist is not friendly to fps.

Seeing goblins drop to their death tends to make dwarfs happy. If no goblins are available, kittens make good replacements as it makes them less sensitive to death, which means more resistance against death induced tantrum spirals.

weapon traps with glass serrated discs is no good against any metal armor. Since most creatures have no metal armor on arms or legs, they're still quite effective at slicing things up.

as for your modding, you could look into the raws of the stones and change their color tag. I don't know about the wood thing, but you could always use quantum stockpiling.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:50:17 am »

Dig out everything above your dining room (or meeting area, or statue garden, or anywhere dwarves gather in large numbers) to let light in, and then construct a glass block floor as a ceiling, and you've got a skylight that will prevent cave adaptation. You can also use ice, if your map freezes during the winter.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:55:07 am »

Seeing goblins drop to their death tends to make dwarfs happy.

I have seen no evidence of this.  What is the specific good thought that comes from seeing goblins die?  (As opposed to killing them directly, that is).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17:53 am »

Like he said, it makes them desensitized towards death. See alot of death around you and you stop caring that your wife of fourty years and all seventeen of your offspring just got melted by a dragon, just in a day's work!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:29 pm »

I have doubts that a kitten or goblin waterfall actually works.  This is because my marksdwarf squads almost never become desensitized, despite overseeing the slaughter of goblins (that's mostly completed by axedwarf squads, who do become desensitized rather frequently).  I suspect that the only way dwarves actually become desensitized is by direct, hand-to-hand slaughter.

This would be really easy for anyone to disprove-- just show me a screenshot of a dwarf that doesn't really care about anything anymore, that doesn't have any kills.

Glass windows don't have a lot of uses.  You'd use them when you somehow want dwarfs to become interrupted by an enemy, but not be vulnerable to arrow fire.  So they should be useful in sentry positions (vampire closets, etc).  For most purposes, you can use floor grates or bars instead (which actually do block arrow fire as well, don't ask me why).  (I was considering a design for automatic lock-down and/or differentiation between trap-avoids and diplomats/merchants using a vampire at a window, but if the vamps think they have a path to your fortress, they'll abandon post every once in a while, and you have a false alarm, and if they don't have path, then either they won't abandon post to try to engage an enemy, or else your diplomats don't have path either.)

Glass windows can be used to fight cave adaptation-- but so can any other material.  Once a tile is exposed to the sun, you can roof it with anything at all, and the area will still nauseate dwarves/increase sun tolerance.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »

I use glass windows for my animal watchtowers.  They allow vision but do not allow arrows, even from elite bowmen.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »

I think it's the proximity to death, not the mode of death. So your Marksdwarves are too far away, and you axedwarves are, obviously, close enough.

Kitten waterfalls are mentioned and discussed as a common enough features, I can't see it being a myth that no one has caught on to yet.

I use a turkey waterfall, myself ;) mainly cuz I had 170 turkeys growing up, and I was just passing 1,000 masterwork lavish meals... Didn't need the turkeys anymore :D

20z level drop scatters parts and blood a distance of 5 tiles average for me. That'll coat an entire 11x11 dining room with enough drops, from the center of course. I have an upright spike at the bottom, wanted to see if it upped the carnage :D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:05:42 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?