Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress and Adventure mode question regarding Prisoners  (Read 3112 times)

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress and Adventure mode question regarding Prisoners
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:05:10 pm »

I've heard about adventurers who found clown prisoners and hired them as companions. I have a fort I'm building with the intention of exploring it in adventure mode later. I want to give myself a nice reward at the end (candy weapons) but then I remembered the thing about clown prisoners becoming companions. Is it possible for me to capture a clown in fortress mode and then have him become my companion later in adventure mode?
PS: Will my candy weapons disappear/get moved when I abandon the fortress? If so, is there a way to prevent this from happening?
PS: I want to make it so that my fortress is dangerous to enter. Placing traps won't work because I know where they are and I don't want to let all the clowns in because that would be too much fun. Are there any other ways to make sure that the fort has lots of fun in it? Would abandoning during a siege do the trick? Thanks

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress and Adventure mode question regarding Prisoners
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:23:09 pm »

1. no idea

2. they will move a bit

3. place animals and FBs everywhere if you capture them, or dig to hell

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:08:24 pm »

1. I don't think so, but am not certain. Pretty sure the 'imprisoned' interaction is limited to worldgen activity.

2. They'll scatter like everything else, but will still be on the embark. Keep them in workshops or lead bins to limit scatter, or alternately use dfhack's lair tool.

3. Traps will work fine, if you have a complex fortress and don't place them in completely predictable patterns.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:20 pm »

PS: Will my candy weapons disappear/get moved when I abandon the fortress? If so, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Scattering is based on weight, thus adamantine will scatter very far away.

However, if you build a weapon trap and put all the candy weapons inside of it. Build it on a support pillar and link said pillar to a lever. Once the lever is pulled, the trap deconstructs and leaves all the candy weapons behind in a cloud of cave-in dust.

Bonus points if it releases magma and you have to outrun it with the adamantine weapons Indiana Jones style.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:18 pm »

Scattering is based on weight, thus adamantine will scatter very far away.

However, if you build a weapon trap and put all the candy weapons inside of it. Build it on a support pillar and link said pillar to a lever. Once the lever is pulled, the trap deconstructs and leaves all the candy weapons behind in a cloud of cave-in dust.

Bonus points if it releases magma and you have to outrun it with the adamantine weapons Indiana Jones style.

I like this idea :D

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:52:16 pm »

Maybe make it release helmet snakes and put crossbow traps on repeat, Indiana Jones style!

Bonus points for that

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:23:43 pm »

Is there any documentation on this Lair tool? Neither a forum search or a google search brought up anything...and there's nothing in DF Hack's documentation (that I see.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:57:38 pm »

Is there any documentation on this Lair tool? Neither a forum search or a google search brought up anything...and there's nothing in DF Hack's documentation (that I see.)

Hm. I remember it from a while ago; it would set your fortress as a lair, thus preventing item scatter (I specifically recall using it several times), but it isn't in the current list of commands, and I haven't needed it in .34.xx yet. Will look around, see what I can find.

ed.

Still listed in the readme, though it apparently isn't listed as a command in the current version of dfhack. It might not have been updated yet...?

https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/blob/master/README.rst
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:01:04 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:05:25 am »

Thanks for hunting that down. I think it's been disabled in the current version because Lair is part of DFusion, which hasn't been updated since 31.xx or something because of a bug.

At least I know the command name if it starts working again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti