Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Little bits of goblins  (Read 2179 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Little bits of goblins
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:38:49 am »

Does anyone know what distance a goblin should fall to guarantee the chunky salsa rule?  Goblins keep falling into the pit near my entrance, without dying.  End result is a pit of angry Goblins, civilians unable to leave the fortress, and marksdwarves slowly plinking away at the survivors. I need a way of killing or seriously wounding them outright.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Little bits of goblins
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:48:31 am »

At least 10 Z-levels, preferably more. Add spikes to the bottom of the pit for good measure.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:40:33 am »

One of my more successful pit traps was a meager 3 z-levels deep, but the upright iron spear traps at the bottom ensured that the goblins that fell in would either die from impalement, or bleed out as they searched for an exit. Never any chunky salsa, but plenty of blood and bodies.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:52:56 am »

Any goblins landing on living goblins (or living anything else) will be unhurt, so just seriously wounding fallers will compound the problem.

This thread suggested 10 levels is sufficient, but this one indicates more (15) should be used, to be safe.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:57:16 am »

Liquids in large quantities work well at the bottom too.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:58:42 am »

but create the need to drain it to recover goblinite and fps. I've never had survivors with 13 z levels, no upright spears needed.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:30:24 pm »

I use 12. Never had a goblin survive. It also killed a bronze colossus that got knocked in by a ballista bolt.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:33:22 pm »

9 z lvls is the terminal point for unarmoured goblins that results in a 100% death rate upon impact

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 07:49:57 am »

Thanks, everyone.  I tested the four Z-level drop with an ambush last night.  The one goblin who went over the side wound up badly wounded.  I don't know if this was the result of a fight with the caravan guards, the stone-fall traps, or the marksdwarves who were taking pot-shots at the invaders.  The goblin plummeted through the open space past the stockpiles and workshops, resulting in a slew of cancelled work orders.  I sent a militia squad to finish him off.  I like the idea of training up my milita with wounded goblins.  I might install a series of retracting bridges over the pit, so I can send the goblins deeper, if necessary.  I will have to cut through my living quarters to do so.  Maybe glass walls are the way to go.

9 z lvls is the terminal point for unarmoured goblins that results in a 100% death rate upon impact

In any other context, this would be pretty creepy.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:15:18 pm »

I've had armored goblins survive a 10z drop before. At 15z with upright spikes I have not seen anything survive.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:55 pm »

I had a massive chamber after my front gate.

Step 1. Call every one in.
Step 2. Seal fort and open puppy pen inside chamber.
Step 3. Seal invaders in with puppy.
Step 4. watch invaders drown.

I never did get round to making steam traps now that I would like to see.
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »

In any other context, this would be pretty creepy.

If you replace goblin with baby or paraplegic... Oh right people have already done that on bay :p