Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding non-stagnant water embark?  (Read 1241 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding non-stagnant water embark?
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:23:32 pm »

I've been trying to find a nice embark. Put simply, I can't seem to find one without stagnant murky pools running into the rivers and polluting the rivers. Is there any way to know before embarking if there will be stagnant water?
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Finding non-stagnant water embark?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:25:19 pm »

I don't think so. But most river embarks don't have lakes in the rivers.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:58:42 pm »

You won't. Even if you did, rivers seem to go stagnant for no reason. I've had rivers turned even when the nearest murky pool was 20 tiles away. Rely on aquifers for clean water, at least until we get a fix.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:00:23 pm »

Just pump it into your cistern. Pumping cleans water. As a bonus, you don't have an infinite water source connected to the bowels of your fortress, that's just a flood waiting to happen. If you want to be secure, build a pump house and pump through a grate so nothing can path up into your fort.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »

I'm going on 10 years at my fort started in 34.04 and my (supposedly salty?) river is neither salty nor stagnant yet. Of course I did disable aquifers, so maybe that has something to do with it. And there's been plenty of activity of all kinds around the river. (I even built my whole fortress directly over it.)

I haven't actually dug a well yet, so maybe that's what it's waiting for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

evilDagmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:49:21 pm »

I am not convinced that stagnation is working properly.  I'm on the third fortress in the last month where I started with a nice clean river, which:

...on the first attempt, immediately stagnated the entire river when I connected an existing pondlet with my moat, and then my moat to the river.  That's sort of documented on the wiki, so I didn't think much of it.

...on the second attempt, immediately stagnated the river when I connected it to my moat (which was just dry and empty before).  This isn't documented, but I figured whatever, the moat was probably dirty.

...on the third attempt, when I built an entirely manufactured cistern above ground, and then pumped water into it with a screw pump and windmill.  This was irksome, because it wasn't like I was using blocks of dwarf poop--just talc and shist.  Not only did the cistern stagnate, so did the river.  Go figure.

At this point I'm just going to build over the river and leave a hole for dwarves to fish in and hope no trolls decide to swim up in there.  Maybe I'll elevate up a level and just use a well.  Hopefully no goblin elk bird riders will able to fly up through the well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:52:08 pm by evilDagmar »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:47:32 pm »

Yeah, I've build cisterns multiple z-levels above ground entirely out of constructed stone blocks, pumped water in from an uncontaminated source, and had it turn stagnant.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable