Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal limit?  (Read 3931 times)

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal limit?
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »

So I'm trying to breed as many dogs as possible so I can have a war dog army, but there's a problem...

My total animal population is fine (130-ish, recently reduced to that number from about 170, trying to get rid of lag, and many of the animals were getting out of control), but my dogs have stopped breeding, and haven't given birth in years. There are plenty of both genders, and I don't know what's going on. Anyone know anything about this? I have 27 war dogs, 30 normal dogs, and 6 puppies (for a total of 63).
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal limit?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:41:21 pm »

So I'm trying to breed as many dogs as possible so I can have a war dog army, but there's a problem...

My total animal population is fine (130-ish, recently reduced to that number from about 170, trying to get rid of lag, and many of the animals were getting out of control), but my dogs have stopped breeding, and haven't given birth in years. There are plenty of both genders, and I don't know what's going on. Anyone know anything about this? I have 27 war dogs, 30 normal dogs, and 6 puppies (for a total of 63).

I think the cap per species is 50... but I'm not sure.  Did you buy any dogs recently from a caravan?  There IS a cap, though, beyond which members of an animal species will stop breeding.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:47:53 pm »

Once 50 animals of a species are on the map, no more pregnancies will occur in that species.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:52:09 pm »

Once 50 animals of a species are on the map, no more pregnancies will occur in that species.
You can exploit this to get many more than 50 animals of a given species, however. For instance, if you had 50 dogs, 48 of which were female, and slaughtered one of the males, ~9 months later all 48 females would give birth to puppies, in 2s or 3s as they usually do, giving you ~150 dogs.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

evilDagmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »

I think the cap per species is 50... but I'm not sure.  Did you buy any dogs recently from a caravan?  There IS a cap, though, beyond which members of an animal species will stop breeding.

Nah, I've foolishly made the mistake of deciding to breed rabbits for food.  Once I found out they're meatless mutants I tried to amend my mistake because the result was lagging my PC.  After trying to butcher them all, and watching this take too long to keep up with their breeding rate, I built an outdoor pen, then closed the entry with some irresistable-to-trolls iron bars.

Sure enough, goblin forces eventually showed up and started having a field day on the rabbits.

...which apparently got old for even them after awhile, because I could swear I saw one of the flip me off as they left the map, and I watched rabbits still wobbling out of the now-reopened pen.

You know you've screwed up when you get excited about the possibility of goblins killing everything.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37:43 pm »

Nah, I've foolishly made the mistake of deciding to breed rabbits for food.  Once I found out they're meatless mutants I tried to amend my mistake because the result was lagging my PC.  After trying to butcher them all, and watching this take too long to keep up with their breeding rate, I built an outdoor pen, then closed the entry with some irresistable-to-trolls iron bars.

Sure enough, goblin forces eventually showed up and started having a field day on the rabbits.

...which apparently got old for even them after awhile, because I could swear I saw one of the flip me off as they left the map, and I watched rabbits still wobbling out of the now-reopened pen.

You know you've screwed up when you get excited about the possibility of goblins killing everything.

This cracked me up, in part because I too thought bringing rabbits would be good, once upon a time. You couldn't kill them fast enough!!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »

Rabbits are the new cats.

I tried got rid of mine by making them all war rabbits through modding, attaching them to one random recruit, and rushing the enemy.

It was surprisingly effective. You'd send out 30 rabbits, 20 would die, and 40 rabbit babies would take their place.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:04:39 pm »

Rabbits are the new cats.

I tried got rid of mine by making them all war rabbits through modding, attaching them to one random recruit, and rushing the enemy.

It was surprisingly effective. You'd send out 30 rabbits, 20 would die, and 40 rabbit babies would take their place.

LOL did these rabbits work anything like this one here ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg&feature=player_detailpage#t=77s

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 04:04:26 pm »

Ah, but rabbits can starve to death. If they have food though, then rabbits become, well, rabbits. Released two rabbits in the caverns once, and they quickly dominated the caverns - not even trolls and giant freaking spiders could kill them all.