Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make dwarfs butcherable?  (Read 3471 times)

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I make dwarfs butcherable?
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:33:14 pm »

I have experienced much Fun from starvation, and have found ways to prevent it, but dwarfs can not live on plump helmets alone. I usually let the pets and pack animals starve to death, so animals, except cats, are usually in short supply. Dwarfs, however, are not. Could be a good way to dispose of nobles.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: How do I make dwarfs butcherable?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:34:51 pm »

You can't.

You can modify the ethics raws to make sentients butcherable, and that will let you butcher humans and elves, but you cannot butcher your own citizens.

You are better off learning how to avoid starvation.  It really isn't hard at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:48:27 pm »

Aw, man. I wanted to turn my nobles into something useful.
So do I have to somehow find a way to farm elves/humans by having them settle in a "pen" of sorts? The "farm" would consist of a wall 3 or 4 z-layers high surrounding a settlement of non-dwarfs, with a hidden tunnel that leads to and from the dwarf fort to allow the occasional "harvest" by the local militia.
How can I get humans to settle at my site? Is it possible?

smokebubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »

I don't know if it'll work in fortress mode but for adventure mode you can remove the [INTELLIGENT] (and [CAN_SPEAK] if it's there) to make sentients butcherable. I believe the downside is that they won't be able to increase their skills but it probably would screw with fortress mode more I'd imagine.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:23:20 pm »

You can't get humans or elves to settle at your site for breeding and farming.   The best you can do is attack and kill traders.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:37 pm »

Isn't it possible to use vaporstone and ce_body_transformation to turn a dwarf into a "pet dwarf" which is butcherable?

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:17:42 am »

Isn't it possible to use vaporstone and ce_body_transformation to turn a dwarf into a "pet dwarf" which is butcherable?
IIRC, it doesn't change their "member of your fort" status, which is the problem.

However… could probably mod in a "suicide booth" with a reaction that produces deadly vaporstone and 10 dwarf meat. Might need to change the [ETHIC]s to make cooking/eating dwarf meat acceptable, but still…

(Of course, anything that results in killing an elected noble is asking for trouble.)
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 02:43:48 am »

but dwarfs can not live on plump helmets alone

Heretic! Can and will! Praise the holy plum helmet!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:58:54 pm »

What about using dwarf corpses to make charcoal? Can I do that?

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:49:33 pm »

but dwarfs can not live on plump helmets alone

Heretic! Can and will! Praise the holy plum helmet!
My dwarves usually eat quarry bush tamales alone, although they're stuffed with various things; all the plump helmets go straight to the still, cooking them would be a waste of good booze material :P

What about using dwarf corpses to make charcoal? Can I do that?
I've heard it doesn't work, but one of these should be the way according to the wiki:

[REACTION:BURN_CORPSE]
   [NAME:make coke from corpse]
   [BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:1:CORPSE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [FUEL]
   [SKILL:SMELT]

[REACTION:BURN_CORPSEPIECE]
   [NAME:make coke from severed parts]
   [REAGENT:A:1:CORPSEPIECE:NONE]
   [FUEL]

[REACTION:BURN_CORPSE_OR_CORPSEPIECE]
   [NAME:make coke from body parts]
   [REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
   [FUEL]

Add 'em all to your entity, and see which shows up at the smelter. Note that none of these specifically target dwarf corpses; if you embark with a hunter, canceling the Butcher An Animal task should get you a valid reagent for one or more of these reactions… unless the rumor is right.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:56:51 pm by Darekun »
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 12:32:47 am »

I would so make my babies jump off cliffs for this sole thread.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:11:14 am »

Weird arena result that may be relevant to this thread:

I was experimenting with Deon's cold-breath. Not thinking about creature sizes, I made ice weasels. In the Arena they weren't that deadly against human-sized creatures, and always ended up mutually annihilating with unicorns, so I was trying to crank up their breath.

And ended up fast-destroying corpses.

At the end, a dwarf or even unicorn would usually break off before killing the ice weasel, and take a bit of stumble bumbling before they'd die… and then they'd flip to a corpse and vanish in maybe a dozen ticks. (Also, I tweaked the boiling point so instead of sticking around it just boils off shortly.)

So, a new method for suicide booths: the reaction creates a wild vermin with this attack, and not immune to cold damage. It sprays the operator, it gets covered as well, maybe generating some cancel-job-too-injured spam, then the dwarf dies and their corpse vapes. Put this at the end of a long tunnel, and the freeze liquid should boil off before anyone shows up; the offending operator should remain "missing" indefinitely. (Or in the bug case, their body will be "found" whenever someone shows up at the spot, body or no.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)