Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is chance programmed into any DF mechanics?  (Read 670 times)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is chance programmed into any DF mechanics?
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:19:25 pm »

Did Toady program any game mechanics that "roll a dice" to determine what happens? So that if you reloaded your fortress and did everything exactly the same, different stuff might nonetheless happen?

Or is there only ever one outcome given the particular state of a game at a given frame?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Is chance programmed into any DF mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »

Artifacts are determined by chance, but can be overridden by dwarf preferences.

I believe that insanity (berserk,melancholy,mad) is determined randomly too.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:45:21 pm »

A lot of things use dice rolls. Any time a character's skill comes into play, there's usually a roll of some sort involved. Combat has rolls to hit, deal damage, dodge, block, etc; crafting has rolls to determine the quality of the item created; mining has rolls to see whether you mine out a stone or not... the list goes on.

There are also rolls for genetics, names, insanity, tree growth, creature movement... a lot of things. In general, unless something has a seed assigned to it (like worldgen stuff), it's effectively random.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 06:56:23 pm »

At sufficient complexity emergent behavior is indistinguishable from chance. ;) There are quite some dice rolls, fights are a primary example more so in WG where most things depend on dice, other then that production iirc. in certain boundarys. Fertilisation of pets/animals (and thus who is the father) and the population pools althought nowadays you get quite some preexisting families.
The genetics on the other hand follow rules, atleast for color tokens its everytime the one token that comes earlyer in the list (this is actualy a bug Toady did admit somewhere here and might be fixed already). 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:59:56 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.