Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Massive Migrant Wave  (Read 2848 times)

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Migrant Wave
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 04:23:17 am »

Year 2, 78 dwarves all ectastic cause of the dining room, even after heaps Of deaths.

He dining room is 20X20 filled with heaps of tables and chairs.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 04:35:42 am »

Well, the happy thought from dining in a good room is not based on the number of tables in it, but rather on room value. Drop a platinum artefact cabinet in your single table, single chair dining room, and any dwarf lucky enough to get to dine there will be ecstatic.

However, having too little tables does incur a negative thought of it's own. When a dwarf is grabbing food to eat, and it cannot find a table, it will get the 'was annoyed by the lack of tables' thought. When the dwarf can find a table, but not sit down, I believe it will get the 'was annoyed by the lack of chairs" thought. Those negative thoughts are pretty minor compared to the positive boost of dining in a royal dining room.
I have about 8 tables and chairs in my single dining room. It seems to be about enough for my 54 dwarves, as I rarely, if ever, see the negative thought for lack of chairs/tables. That's because dwarves don't all eat at the same time. So they all get their happy thoughts for dining in a royal dining room, even if there's only 1 table for every 7-8 dwarves.

Same goes for beds. As long as you keep to general sleeping area's, and do not assign personal rooms except for those pesky nobles who demand one, you can do with about 1 bed per 7-8 dwarves as well.
I tend to assign every dwarf their own bedroom with cabinets and coffers though, so they can store their personal stuff.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:37:16 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 04:41:12 am »

I need morE tables and chaired then

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 02:09:10 pm »

Well, things are going surprisingly well.  Aside from a child who went insane (we had plant fiber cloth, thread cloth, but no yarn cloth, apparently) everyone is still alive.  I put some of them on non-stop farming duty and bought out two caravans' worth of food and drink, while having my legendary miners drill out bedrooms for everybody.  I also set up a waterfall in my statue garden and stuck my best mason in a shop next to a big stockpile of gold nuggets to make cabinets and chests for everybody.  Any negative 'slept without a proper bedroom' thoughts were quickly offset, and now I actually have a surplus of rooms.

So, panic attack over.  From the sounds of things, this isn't that unusual... I'm just used to getting migrants in waves of 8 or so - this one caught me badly off-guard!

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 04:58:14 pm »

All I got was a troupe of children for my first wave this fort. Unsurprisingly, my fisherman is still being strangled by a troll from the underground...
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »

I got a wave full of children, so I made a burrow by the edge of the map on the surface, and made the children stand there.

Like 10 have been kidnapped so far, and no one's sad about it.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »

I've decided I'm just going to set my pop cap to 20 and let the hard coded migrants and births fill the rest.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 06:14:35 pm »

I got a wave full of children, so I made a burrow by the edge of the map on the surface, and made the children stand there.

Like 10 have been kidnapped so far, and no one's sad about it.
So it's like a DF version of a kitten box?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:31 am »

I've decided I'm just going to set my pop cap to 20 and let the hard coded migrants and births fill the rest.
I use pop-cap 30, baby-cap 1000:1000, and once the migrants stop showing up, its births all the way.

Out of curiosity, for those of you getting large migrant waves (my forts haven't done so well lately, as zombies keep nomming my militia) -- how many have a birthday of 1 Granite?  I was noticing this evening that the non-historical types all appear to have 1 Granite for a birthday in their thoughts screen, and wondered if others were getting that as well. [yeah, i created a bug report for it, in case it really is a problem]
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]